Putting a new face on an old friend - PICS!!!!

SeeGars

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Yup,

We bought the house 8 yrs ago and knew the plaster was a bit thin in spots. Now, we have some tiles falling into the pool, the coping is CRACKED and very loose.

Time to do an upgrade!!!!

We want to do more than just tile, plaster and coping.

We are planning to change the coping to Oklahoma flagstone and replace the plaster with River Rok Baha Sand. We are adding a new love seat with umbrella, a beach type walk in entry, converting to salt/chlorine with full replacement of pumps/filters, a water fall that is more elongated laterally along the backside of the pool rather than height vertically, the possibility of fire on the waterfall, a firepit, a BBQ island, re-staining our existing patio stamped concrete.

All in all, we have one big mess in our backyard 4 days into the work LOL!

Here is the picture of the pool on Friday (in the rain).

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 2,178
Re: Putting a new face on an old friend

Terrific rains and high winds this morning.... YIKES! Very odd for July in Texas. Usually hot and dry during this month.

More photos soon.

Any updates?

I have tried to wash/wet the stone so you can get an idea of the color. It is Oklahoma flagstone that has been formed to allow a "beach" entry into the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 1,947

Here is the Oklahoma flagstone with the tile that we hope will bring in all the colors represented in the flagstone and the water. ALso, you can see the new loveseat/lounge with a "holder" for a new umbrella.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 1,946

Here is a shot of the other side of the pool with the previously existing love seat. Notice the color in the coping as some pieces also have some grey color.

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 1,940

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This is what they have been fighting on an almost daily basis. The concrete/groute/mortar is all done in between showers... so far, so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,930

In this photo, you can see the recently poured concrete pad. It will be stained to match the existing stamped concrete on our patio. The patio will be stained with 5 different colors to try to more closely approximate the stones around the patio and pool area.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,918

Tomorrow, the city inspectors should sign off on the gas line that was passed under our driveway to supply gas to the fire pit and the flames at our waterfall.

Then, the dirt will be moved back off the lawn and the holes covered. That will allow more stone work along the back wall of our pool. Instead of putting several tons of rock and making a tall waterfall, I wanted something that looked more natural along the entire back section of the pool. To that end, the stone will probably be only 18 inches high and have water intermittenly along its width. Some will be pouring over the rock/table tops, some will be weeping thru the stones. The fire will be behind that and hidden so that all you will see are the flames when lit.

The River Rok (WHICH COLOR???) is scheduled to be sprayed on Saturday. So far, we have chosen Baha Sand. But, I really don't care for darker water.... but... we are obviously trying to make a "natural" looking pool versus the traditional pool that we had. I've always like clear water but I agree that might look odd in this case.

What do you think? Light, clear water or bluer water like River Rok Baha Sand?

river_rok_swatches.jpg

Didn't get the inspections performed on the gas line because the city wanted to see the actual "fire cans" that are going into the waterfall.

Sigh....

I think we are going to use lucayan blue for the river rok.

They come today to install all new pool equipment, Jandy.

Hopeful for city inspection tomorrow.

Thanks!

That is a very nerve-racking part of the process because you cannot really "see" it until everything is finished, i.e., no going back LOL. The new equipment was installed yesterday. We are still waiting on the city's inspection of our gas line ... sigh...

But, the workers showed up today to go ahead and "install" the rocks/stone work for the waterfall along the back wall.

Photo of that tonight possilbly!

So do I !
Lucayan blue, Imperial white and Pacific pearl is the best looking colours among those you posted from my taste. Will be interesting to see how the water turns out irl. A beautyful pool even before the renovation from my point of view :cheers: that will improve further with the new coping and plaster! The beach entrance wich will bring a welcoming look to the area :goodjob: something I can learn from in my build.

//Mats

Thanks everyone!

The city is giving us "grief" on our waterfall and proposed flames. They have finally agreed to "permit" it but will drag their feet a few days in getting the paperwork finished and the gas line inspected (grrrr). However, our stone guys will be there soon to start putting rock onto the bbq island. Can't wait to see them get started on that.

More pics to follow!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.