drain plug for hayward s270t

trmn8r

Nov 23, 2017
Amarillo, TX
trying to winterize my pool, trying to drain the filter, took off the external black plastic cap, inside is a white plastic plug, with a plastic cross pattern that looks like you should flip over the black screw on lid, and use that to unscrew the white plastic plug. The plastic in the white plugs "cross" pattern is thin flimsy plastic that broke. tried various pliers to grab the internal plug all just broke the flimsy plastic "cross" worse, now I've got a plug in there and I cant figure out what to even try to use to get it out so can't drain the filter... any ideas?

You only remove the cap. You don't remove the white part.

The white part allows water to drain out but keeps sand from draining out.

If you removed the white part, sand would drain out.

If the system was blown out with air, then there would be minimal water in the system.

Otherwise, water should have come out.

Remove the pump plugs and pump lid to allow air into the the system and water should come out of the filter drain.

OK, will give that a try tomorrow, I just backflushed, rinsed, put the valve in winter position, thinking that would allow air into the top of the system to allow water to drain out. When it didn't I kind of stopped there, never pulled cover off pump or pump drain plugs. Maybe doing that will allow air in and water out. Just seemed like it was another plug when it happened cause not even a drop of water came out when I pulled cap. I would of thought some water would have drained out even without air being able to get into the system. The system wasn't blown out first.

It's odd that it's not draining. The white piece is like a lateral with thin slits that allow water to drain but not sand.

Maybe the slits in the white piece are clogged. Maybe try squirting some water into the white piece to clear the slits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.