I think my pump is gonna die.

Jun 24, 2008
MOBILE, AL
As the topic states my 1.5hp dynamo pump motor has started to turn itself on and off throughout the day. It is only about 13 months old(go figure a month out of warranty). My pool is 13,500 gallons and I was wondering if this pump is too large? I like having the larger pump for my aqua critter vac, it works really well but would a 1hp do about the same? I am going to go ahead and get a 2 speed pump no matter what I do so what size do yall recommend? Also what would make my pump start overheating? There are no restrictions or anything, nothing has changed. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Jeremy

Being wired incorrectly will cause it. I just went through this with a new pump installed by a so-called "pro". The service person who corrected it told me how it was wired wrong but not being savvy in that sort of thing I cannot begin to tell you exactly what it was other than him saying something about the neutral wire was somehow incorrect. Basically, what it was doing was pulling all the power from only one of the breakers that makes it 220 (?) instead of both breakers. In the electrical service box we had noticed that one breaker was extremely hot and the other was cold. At the motor some of the wires had actually melted. It ruined the motor. It actually ran that way for the better part of a year before I realized there was a problem. It also caused a spike in my electrical panel and took out my garage door opener and another piece of equipment and I suspect may be the reason I had a refrigerator go out on me a couple weeks before.

I had my brother in law help me wire it, which with him being a master electrician I hope he is right. Being that mine is only 115v I dont think that is going to be the case. I appreciate your input though. I think I am going to buy the pump today I just dont know which one to go with the 1 hp or 1.5 hp. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP Jeremy. Sounds like we have the same setup. I have the 250# Pentair Sand Dollar with the 1.5hp pump on a 24' X 52" pool. Given the force that's coming out of my 1" return eyeball I wouldn't have an issue going to a 1 hp pump. However, when I replace mine I'm going back with a two speed 1.5 hp pump. I figure that I'll circulate on low most of the time and only run on high when the vacuum is running. The cost saving of electricity by running on low will more than offset the price difference in the cost of the pump.

Having said all that. It might be worth your time to take the motor to a motor shop and have them check it for you. Also have you taken the pump apart to see if anything is clogging it up? That would make it overheat and trip out on temp. If the pump is in good shape why not just change out the motor for a two speed?

My pool was new last year. Opening this year was a bit scary, because my pump started the first time I turned it on, but after turning it off for the first time, it wouldn't come back on. Played with it a few minutes and realized the ground had settled a bit under the pump.
I leveled the pump/filter platform with a brick, and some dirt, and the pump came right on.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.