Spa construction costs vs rock water feature

Phx_Jay

Bronze Supporter
Nov 6, 2017
phoenix
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the early stages of building a pool in Phoenix. I've had three estimates so far and I'm getting close to making a decision.

I am putting in a spool...about 6100 gallons so it is fairly small. The PB's have said that the subs all have a minimum price so it doesn't matter if I make the pool smaller then I currently have it, the price will remain the same. If fact, I could increase the size a little and the price really wouldn't change. With that in mind, I was thinking that maybe doing a separate spa that overflowed into the small pool might not be much more expensive if I eliminate the water feature ($2-2.5k savings). The spa would flow into the pool so I would still have a water feature. I was told adding a spa is typically $7k-$10k from a PB. Does that sounds about right? The spa would also be less water to heat which would be a little cheaper in the winter.

Thanks for reading this and I just wanted to some opinions on if a small pool/spa would really not be much more expensive then a spool.

Thanks,

Jay

Prices very SO much from area to area it is almost impossible to tell you what is a good price or right in your area.

We suggest you get at least 3 quotes but try for 5 if you can. Go from there.

Several people have found they prefer a stand alone spa due to features like jets and comfy seats and being able to retain the heat. You can put it right by your pool so it is almost like it is built in. Maybe put a bench in the pool right by were the Spa will go.

Kim:kim:

Yes, that price is accurate for these parts. Spa’s add a lot more plumbing and you’ll need slightly different equipment.

Honestly, unless you REALLY intend to use the spa, I am one who thinks they’re not worth it. Keep the larger pool design (maybe make a bigger Baja shelf and add bubblers) and, if space allows, get a stand alone hot tub.

Jay,

Have you ever sat in a gunite spa? While they are often very pretty, they are not near as comfortable, nor do they have all the features, of a standalone spa.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for all the input. I greatly appreciate your insight and experience. I think the spa is out!

From talking to several people including PBs, they said it is pretty easy to add a gas heater later on if I want to heat the pool. One PB said he would just make one portion of the plumbing a little longer like they would if they installed a heater. If after a year or two with the pool, if decided to add the heater, I would just need to run a gas line which is a straight shot from the meter to the pool equipment and install the heater. This seems like something I could do myself (pay for gas line, buy heater separately, pay for plumber to install) and save $700-$1000. Does that sounds doable or is it better to get something like that installed up front? Taking out the heater would save me about $4k. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

I have an attached spa and love it. I am in New Jersey where most of my neighbors are closing their pools after Labor Day. I am able to keep mine open until the middle of October and continue to use the spa. The heater is able to get it up to temperature within 25-30 minutes.

I use it 3-5 times a week.

I would see about running the gas line NOW while you’re already tearing up the yard. I would just assume you’ll be installing a 400kBTU/hr heater and size the pipe for it. Then, when you’re ready, it’s just a drop in installation.

Around these parts, using a qualified and trained gas installer runs about $11-$15 per linear ft of gas line. And it’s Certified!

Thanks! It's time for me to become a forum supporter! Already getting great advice. The gas company here will replace the meter for free with a larger meter if a larger gas line in run to it. I was quoted a price of $1200 to run the gas line. It would be along the side of the house so I'm not too concerned about tearing up that part of the yard now or later. It won't have to go through any areas that are finished with pavers. I'll check on the size of the equipment pad. I'll post the equipment list later to get some help with that.

Thanks!

Jay

Any plans for an outdoor kitchen or BBQ pad?

When we did our pool we knew we were going to do a BBQ deck with a gas grille and Smoker. The BBQ deck was across the backyard and the equipment pad was in the opposite direction. Since we were running over 150ft of 2” gas line, we made sure we also did a 1” tee with a dead end stub so that the BBQ deck could be done later. We also had enough gas line size to do a fire pit too. All of that extra gas work was done months after the pool was finished but would have been impossible if we didn’t plan ahead.

All I’m saying is - consider doing things now for stuff you might want in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When researching spools - use search term "cocktail" pool also. I have a friend in NYC that is digging them by hand because the properties are so small.. some really high end features & upgrades are reachable with a spool, just due to the lesser square footage.

Any plans for an outdoor kitchen or BBQ pad?

When we did our pool we knew we were going to do a BBQ deck with a gas grille and Smoker. The BBQ deck was across the backyard and the equipment pad was in the opposite direction. Since we were running over 150ft of 2” gas line, we made sure we also did a 1” tee with a dead end stub so that the BBQ deck could be done later. We also had enough gas line size to do a fire pit too. All of that extra gas work was done months after the pool was finished but would have been impossible if we didn’t plan ahead.

All I’m saying is - consider doing things now for stuff you might want in the future.

And a bunch electrical outlets & at least bury conduit for sound system.
I have seen far too many extravagant poolscapes, that have extension cords for the toys.

Thanks everyone. I have a two gas stubs in the backyard but I've been told that the build stubs are not large enough for the pool heater. I will be able to use those for the BBQ and fire pit. I will check out your build Brentr!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.