Flocking Process?

Jun 17, 2016
tampa
Greetings Everyone! I've been told by both Hayward support and P-a-P that I need to do a flocking process on my pool. P-a-P sold me a Flocculant called Drop Down. Seems pretty straightforward but I want to do this the most effective way.

P-a-P and product states to dispense 4oz for every 5000 gallons. So for the 12oz I need to dispense in my pool, what is best way to dispense it? Do I just walk around pool and do on the perimeter? Or if it needs to be distributed across the entire surface of the pool to 'absorb' evenly what is the best way to distribute 12oz evenly across a 30x15 pool?

And after I dispense, I assume I immediately should start brushing walls and steps to agitate the organic and in-organic articles so they fall to bottom?

Then let sit for 24-48 hrs with pump OFF I'm told. Then after it sits for 24-48 hrs, I'm planning to turn pump back on and vacuum to waste. I'm going to simultaneously run a garden hose of water into pool since I'll be losing water due to vacuuming to waste. Once I vacuum all visible stuff to waste, I'm going to put grids back in filter and then resume normal filtration.

Any steps or tasks I'm missing in my description above? And for those of you that have done this already, anything I should be aware of or possible issues I could run into? Any help or input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

TFPC does not use flocculant except in very specific conditions and with no other options available.

Why are you being directed to use the flocculant? Do you have a complete set of pool water test results from your own test kit?

Please do NOT use the flocculant before considering all other options.

Take care.

As mentioned, flocculant is only used for very specific situations, and is never recommended for 'general' use.

If you are experiencing cloudy water it is most likely a chemical issue, and flocculant will not correct it.

Does the pool pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

Please post your current test results, as well as a description of your issues so we can better understand the situation. Pictures are great as well.

Thanks for all of the quick replies. Long story short, filtration process no longer worked and as a result of the time passed a ton of algae has built up and 'clumpy' algae. Filtration now fixed and cleaned everything out, got new grids and ready to go once I get all the gunk all vacuumed out. This is not general use and multiple pool techs have said to do this one time to get all the built up gunk out. After I do this I will resume normal filtration.

This will be a one-time thing. Just wanted to hear feedback on what others have experienced doing this.

SLAM Process

Then, if you need to, a discussion about flocculant. But first, kill the algae.

Do you have your own test kit? Test results?

Take care.

Algae isn't a filtration issue, if algae is building up then you have a chemistry issue. Period. Hayward was simply passing the buck and Pinch a Penny was more than happy to agree and sell you something. If it were me the last thing I would want to do is install new grids after floc has been in the water, if you don't get it all out you run the risk of damaging them. Also even if everything goes perfectly you still have whatever chemistry issue has led you to having a ton of algae in your pool in the first place.

But anyway, to comment on your plan, you absolutely should not run a hose while you vacuum floc. You want the water to be as still as possible and a constant flow of water will stir it right back up in to suspension. Then when you turn on the filter you will catch it in your brand new grids, causing the aforementioned damage to them. If you do it then bring your water level up as high as you can before adding the floc and try to finish before your water level drops too far.

Any steps or tasks I'm missing in my description above? And for those of you that have done this already, anything I should be aware of or possible issues I could run into? Any help or input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Avoid if possible. If you cannot avoid using it:

Raise pH to 8.0 before you add, the floc will drop pH a lot. Bring the FC up to SLAM levels, this is your last chance to chlorinate until all the floc is gone. I would use slightly less than prescribed. If it doesn't cling to "stuff" it doesn't drop out as well. If it doesn't drop out it is nearly impossible to get out. I'd rather do it twice than have that stuff floating in the pool. IF it settles it will take MANY passes with the vacuum to get out. After just a minute of vacuuming it gets all stirred up again, and you have to let it resettle. Rinse and repeat. The last little bit takes FOREVER.

Trust me, we don't steer people away from using this stuff "just because". If at all possible, if you can drain/refill it will be much quicker, even if you have to do it over 4-5 drain/refill cycles.

edit: This is for alum floc.

A few tips on pool care....

Pool stores and pool techs are stuck on 1960's technology, avoid......
All pool store chemicals except granular cya are the worst thing for your pool, including floc, avoid.......

Your pool can be fixed without any magic potions from the pool store or without in uninformed advice from pool techs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome, Jmar.

I'm posting because I'm one of the rare few who've used floc successfully for a very specific and unrelated purpose ;)

First off, I agree with Donaldson that floc is not suited for DE filter even if you can vac to waste for the reasons he stated.

Secondly, floc is generally unreliable/finickity in working right in the best of times, and often fails in active algae.

SLAM Process first as suggested and feel free to reach out for support.

Once you've killed all algae and made the water inhospital to more, I'll be happy to share floc tips if you need them, but predict you won't if instead you vac to waste a few times after letting the water settle on its own.

Lastly, floc adds sulphates to your water, which in turn can be problematic if built up and you have swg. You didn't mention if your pool is salt or regular, so I'm just letting you know. This is one of the reasons its not a general go-to, but its variable performance is another.

With that said, I did perform a successful alum floc this season -- with great care -- that had the fortunate byproduct of reducing trace iron to zero and clearing spent sequestrant after heavy use. For the moment, its enabled me to stop using metal sequestrant, so in my books its not entirely evil...just evil about 50% of the time and certainly not trouble-free ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.