New superflo pump, performance issues running baracuda G3

stham

Nov 15, 2017
florida
Ive just replaced my failed Sta-rite P2R-A5E-124L 1hp pump with a Superflo 1hp (SF N1 A1E) and installed a 3 way diverter valve, and Im experiencing rather disappointing performance when using my G3 baracuda. It will move around the bottom of the pool, but will not climb the walls, even with the hose weight adjusted accordingly.
Specs:
17,500 gallons
Approx 40-50 ft head in system
Superflow 1hp (1.5 THP)
1.5" suction/discharge
Hayward C1200 filter
Hayward SWG
Barracuda G3

Pressures at the filter gauge are as follows:
15 psi with skimmer/main drain
12 with skimmer + g3
13.5 with main drain only

When I check flow with the baracuda flow gauge at the end of the cleaner hose, I only get about 3-4 on the meter with the main drain fully closed. However when I fully close the main drain, the pump begins to suck in smaller air bubbles (seen at pump basket). I checked every single piece of hose for leaks, including submerging every hose piece and i still see/hear air bubbles in the pump basket. I am concerned the air is being created due to cavitation. I can hear air bubbles right at the skimmer where the hose/flow regulator connect.

If I isolate to either main drain or skimmer only (without vacuum hooked up) I do not get bubbles.
I checked for leaks on the suction side using shaving cream, but did not see any.

Is my pump too powerful and causing cavitation? the Sta-rite I replaced had a similar pump curve to the pentair 1hp.

Heres a picture of my setup below.
IMG_20171119_165310.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I'm stumped!

I am concerned the air is being created due to cavitation.
Cavitation does not create air. Cavitation creates water vapor and it cannot be seen in the pump basket.

I can hear air bubbles right at the skimmer where the hose/flow regulator connect.
Then that is were the leak is probably occurring. If you can, submerge all the parts of the cleaner and hose and see if the air goes away.

I'm generally confused why I can't get proper suction and have air entrapment at the same time..
When you redirect all or most of the flow through a cleaner, it increases head loss by a lot and that in turns lowers the pressure in the cleaner and plumbing lines making air leaks more likely. Unless there something restricting flow (hose clog or pipe clog), the only thing you can do is to locate the leaks and fix them.

What is the normal filter pressure with the suction running on the skimmer, main drain and cleaner all individually isolated?

Hey Mark,

thanks for the reply. I just replaced the filter today, how about a comparison picture? :puker:

IMG_20171126_104650.jpg

My filter pressure on skimmer only went from 15 psi to 8 :eek:

This has definitely helped with my suction issue, but not the air bubbles.

I am highly skeptical of the cleaner hoses. They are the newer click-lock design and they dont seem very durable. I also have a leaf catcher which is receiving a new o ring shortly.

I know all of these things can cause air leaks in the system. What baffled me was I put just 1 length of hose on the end of the skimmer, put the flow gauge on the end, submerged it completely and I still somehow got air bubbles :confused:. I checked for leaks with shaving cream but didn't find any in the above ground plumbing.

The previous owner told me they had pressure tested all plumbing in the system.

I'm going to look into replacing the hoses and leaf catcher o ring and see if that helps a bit.

edit: heres a video of the bubbles. Perhaps I'm just over reacting to the amount, but it just seems like a bit much to me. note: video is with old filter

the first 10 seconds are with skimmer only.
at 48 seconds, the skimmer is turned back on and you can see the pressure difference
https://youtu.be/K_TDeqyJmm8

I’m no expert, but do have a Baracuda.

Some things to try are using the valve at the pool equipment to reduce the suction, thereby exponentially reducing the air intake.

Also, the pump cover is always worth a check. Usually is a culprit in air intake situations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.