Jagged Scale- my kids are getting cuts-what should I do?

Jul 29, 2009
The sides of my pool feel like rough sandpaper.
Let me backup-

07 we had the pool plastered and installed a salt system - great summer! We were nervous about closing the pool ourselves, so as like insurance to a proper closing we paid the pool company to close the pool

08 We open the pool to see a golden yellow color covering the walls and it is a very rough surface. Called the pool man who came and told us it was scaling and it just "happens" they don't know why it happens to some pools and not others but it is like a freak thing and we shouldn't have to worry about it again. He poured in several gallons of muriatic acid told us to let it sit for a few days and that should get rid of it. It helped somewhat and took away most of the roughness but our plaster at less then a year old was no longer white. I argued that maybe it had something to do with the mixing of the plaster as the scaling stopped suspiciously where the wall plaster met the floor plaster. The pool guys told that wasn't the case. It just happens. Again we had the pool people close the pool.

09 We open the pool to find the scaling back with a vengeance this time the walls and floor. We went to the pool guys store and told them it was back. They told us how much muriatic acid to add and said not to leave it for to long as it will hurt the plaster. This time the acid didn't do much at all. The pool guys worker said that when this happens you need to drain the pool and acid wash or pressure wash the pool walls.

What do I do? My kids want to go swimming but they don't want to go in the pool because they are coming out with some nasty cuts and gashes.

Now, after looking around the web and finding info that tells me new plaster is notorious for increasing the ph and you need to be super careful about keeping the ph in range (and we did while the pool was open). and that high ph leads to Scale. also read somewhere that a salt system also increases the ph and that with new plaster extra steps need to be taken the first year or two over the winter to keep an eye on the ph.

So I feel like after paying 24K for my 07 pool plastering, sodium system and new plumbing my pool should not have these issues especially after paying 400 per close on top.

I want to go back to the pool guy and have them do whatever it takes to restore my plaster to the new condition it should be and they should be responsible for it. If that means draining it, wash however and refill it.

I want to know if I'm in the right to have him come back and fix this properly instead of putting in acid and shrugging his shoulders if it doesn't work?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Maintaining the PH at reasonable levels is your responsibility. They gave you lots of bad advice, but that doesn't make them responsible.

In any case, the only thing to do at this point is a drain and manual acid wash. You might not want them doing that, given their general incompetence so far.

Gungablue said:
The sides of my pool feel like rough sandpaper.
Let me backup-

07 we had the pool plastered and installed a salt system - great summer! We were nervous about closing the pool ourselves, so as like insurance to a proper closing we paid the pool company to close the pool

08 We open the pool to see a golden yellow color covering the walls and it is a very rough surface. Called the pool man who came and told us it was scaling and it just "happens" they don't know why it happens to some pools and not others but it is like a freak thing and we shouldn't have to worry about it again. He poured in several gallons of muriatic acid told us to let it sit for a few days and that should get rid of it. It helped somewhat and took away most of the roughness but our plaster at less then a year old was no longer white. I argued that maybe it had something to do with the mixing of the plaster as the scaling stopped suspiciously where the wall plaster met the floor plaster. The pool guys told that wasn't the case. It just happens. Again we had the pool people close the pool.

09 We open the pool to find the scaling back with a vengeance this time the walls and floor. We went to the pool guys store and told them it was back. They told us how much muriatic acid to add and said not to leave it for to long as it will hurt the plaster. This time the acid didn't do much at all. The pool guys worker said that when this happens you need to drain the pool and acid wash or pressure wash the pool walls.

What do I do? My kids want to go swimming but they don't want to go in the pool because they are coming out with some nasty cuts and gashes.

Now, after looking around the web and finding info that tells me new plaster is notorious for increasing the ph and you need to be super careful about keeping the ph in range (and we did while the pool was open). and that high ph leads to Scale. also read somewhere that a salt system also increases the ph and that with new plaster extra steps need to be taken the first year or two over the winter to keep an eye on the ph.

So I feel like after paying 24K for my 07 pool plastering, sodium system and new plumbing my pool should not have these issues especially after paying 400 per close on top.

I want to go back to the pool guy and have them do whatever it takes to restore my plaster to the new condition it should be and they should be responsible for it. If that means draining it, wash however and refill it.

I want to know if I'm in the right to have him come back and fix this properly instead of putting in acid and shrugging his shoulders if it doesn't work?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

If the builder did not allow time for the plaster to cure before installing the saline system, he is at fault. Usually, plaster pools should cure for 6 to 8 weeks before installing a saline system, just to help prevent this from happening.

At this point, though, I am not sure if you have any recourse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.