Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: testing for copper...

1. Back To Top    #1

testing for copper...

A(nother) friend's pool plaster is pitted and looks stained - when they asked me to come over, the pH was very low. Tested everything else with the TFTK and all but pH was in range.

We had a fire last year and a lot of pools got ash, and he said he tried to clear up the algae with Cl, but wound up using an algacide.

My initial impression was that the pH was too low, which could affect the plaster, but after looking closer, there's definate color in these stains:

Haven't tried anything yet...

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: testing for copper...

Metals in the water will not cause stains when the PH is low. If the PH has been low the whole time then something else must be going on. On the other hand, if the PH has been fluctuating metal stains would make a lot of sense.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School