Bronze Supporter
Nov 4, 2017
Apache Junction, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moving is hard enough, but moving clear across the country and having NO clue about pools, and soon discovering it is like having a pet that needs constant attention.... Thank You for being here to help me learn. Seems all google roads for pool help lead to TFP. At least the ones that aren't trying to sell me something I (probably) don't need. It's nice and hot here in AZ so my pool will be open for business and my Lab will get to fetch and swim all year round without icicles on his nose like at his old home back on the East coast.
Got a couple post going already about mechanical issues so not ready to dial in the chemical side of things. Right now its a scummy mess out there and just keeping the chlorine in the floater basket until I can get the pump back on line, but I've already got your TF kit so I'm ready once I get the plumbing/pump resolved and will surely be reaching out for all your knowledge when I fall on my face. Already learned the hard way...from buying misc parts, skimmer door and deck lids, chemicals, useless test kits..all overpriced and a whole lot of lip service .....I can't believe the 'pool store' needs to be added to my list. What list you say? Why my list ..of places I plan to avoid.. Are you kidding me? I'm new at this, but I can already see this is not rocket science here and they should be ashamed of what they charge. What's the reason? Do they just figure rich people are the ones with pools and they can just charge whatever they want because rich people don't care what things cost? It's craziness.
Again, thank you for being here! Your Rep is good and the info on this site is bar none the most comprehensive and impartial that I've found.

Edit by Jim R.

Hey I have the same list!!! LOL

SO glad you found us and showed us some love with the pretty badge by your name!

I will go looking for your other threads to see what is what and make sure they are getting some eyes on them.

Kim:kim:

Are you kidding me? I'm new at this, but I can already see this is not rocket science here and they should be ashamed of what they charge. What's the reason? Do they just figure rich people are the ones with pools and they can just charge whatever they want because rich people don't care what things cost? It's craziness.
Again, thank you for being here! Your Rep is good and the info on this site is bar none the most comprehensive and impartial that I've found.

Most pool store employees learn on the job or through seminars taught by chemical salesmen. So, bad information is handed down from employee to trainee and the chemical salesmen teach them to push high profit items. This is especially true in large chain stores where employees are paid commission and managers jobs are based on how much product flows out the door.

Are there good pool stores out there, yes! But, most of them are in the "sun" states where a family can own a small store and operate it 12 months a year, give good service and make a profit.

In the rest of the country you mainly have a high school/college kid who has about an hour training testing your water and telling you what to buy to add to your water. I guess that's like going into a carpet store and asking if you need to buy new carpet.

Unfortunately the pool industry has evolved into sales by scare tactics, misdirection, misinformation and marketing hype. Go in to the store and tell them your TA is low and they are going to sell you baking soda in a fancy package at four times the cost of WalMart. Do they have a right to make a profit, yes - but lets be reasonable. Heck, even their definition of "low" can many times put you on a pH roller coaster that's hard to get off of. Is that lack of knowledge or a sales technique to sell you more chemicals to control your pH????

What the industry does not understand is that the internet is changing the industry. My favorite story is about my pool light. When I bought the house with the pool along with high CYA my pool light was not working. I could get a new bulb from Amazon for $19, but heck I'm part of that immediate gratification society as much as the next guy. I went down to the local pool store and there was the same bulb, $39. I talked with the manager. I didn't want them to match the price, they have to keep the lights on - just be a little more reasonable. The manager gave me two choices, take it or leave it.

TFP didn't create the methods we use, but we have fine tuned them to make them as "Trouble Free" as possible.

it looks like the post a put in the pool section late last night about VS pumps is gone. Is it possible it got deleted or moved when you dressed up my hello post? I thought it took since i could see 3 threads in my settings area. Or maybe did i somehow delete it when i tried to change notifications to instant? Anyway you can still see it and bring it back on your end?