Effects of chlorinated water on grass

Jun 11, 2007
Ok, after filling my pool and adding chlorine only, I have reluctantly decided to drain it and fix the liner (land mine bottom). What effect will the water have on the lawn? The chlorine should be down a bit by Friday when I plan on doing this (it is a bit on the high side, but I added it at night and the sun really hasn't gotten to it yet). My lawn ISN'T very good where the pool is (although I plan on putting the water on an area further away. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jamie

cowrack said:
Ok, after filling my pool and adding chlorine only, I have reluctantly decided to drain it and fix the liner (land mine bottom). What effect will the water have on the lawn? The chlorine should be down a bit by Friday when I plan on doing this (it is a bit on the high side, but I added it at night and the sun really hasn't gotten to it yet). My lawn ISN'T very good where the pool is (although I plan on putting the water on an area further away. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jamie

I've been backwashing onto the lawn for years. Has no ill effect on my St. Augustine grass.

Kinguni, wash-out, eh?

I bought a large red plastic tub at HD. I slide the backwash hose through the rope handle and loop it around the inside of the tub a couple times. The water fills the tub and then splashes over the sides.

Other methods: put a piece of lumber at the mouth of the hose, or a 1 foot square paver, to fan the water out.

A friend of mine got way fancy. He cut a semi-circle out of the bottom of a really fat PVC pipe which is maybe 4 ft long. Then he pounded a piece of rebar in the ground and inserted the length of PVC over it so it stands up. Now he takes the backwash hose, threads it through the semicircle in the PVC far enough to make it point upward, and turns on the backwash. He gets the most terrific fountain which all the dogs go nuts over. If I didn't live in the slate belt where you simply do not pound anything into the ground more than an inch, I'd do that.

Anna

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.