Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Effects of chlorinated water on grass

1. Back To Top    #1

Effects of chlorinated water on grass

Ok, after filling my pool and adding chlorine only, I have reluctantly decided to drain it and fix the liner (land mine bottom). What effect will the water have on the lawn? The chlorine should be down a bit by Friday when I plan on doing this (it is a bit on the high side, but I added it at night and the sun really hasn't gotten to it yet). My lawn ISN'T very good where the pool is (although I plan on putting the water on an area further away. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Jamie
    Bel Air 24' Above Ground Round Pool
    Hayward- GM152 Sand Filter
    Hayward- SP711-13 Multi-Port Valve
    Hayward- SP1511 Pump 3/4HP
    Hayward- SP1092 Skimmer
    Hayward- SP1411 Return
    Polaris 65 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

I backwash into my lawn, and its not hurt it at all.
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

3. Back To Top    #3
    Normal chlorine levels are about the same as tap water, so I wouldn't expect and issue with the grass.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    I do it all the time and my grass looks great after I dump some water on it if it needs it.
    14 x 32 x 6 (ave depth) 20K gallons - IG gunite pool. Challenger 1.5 hp pump and cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, same here. And with 50 ppm borates to boot.

The dog causes more damage to the lawn than my pool water.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Effects of chlorinated water on grass

Quote Originally Posted by cowrack
    Ok, after filling my pool and adding chlorine only, I have reluctantly decided to drain it and fix the liner (land mine bottom). What effect will the water have on the lawn? The chlorine should be down a bit by Friday when I plan on doing this (it is a bit on the high side, but I added it at night and the sun really hasn't gotten to it yet). My lawn ISN'T very good where the pool is (although I plan on putting the water on an area further away. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Jamie
    I've been backwashing onto the lawn for years. Has no ill effect on my St. Augustine grass.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

7. Back To Top    #7
    The only ill effect upon the grass where the backwash hose drains is that the grass is longer there.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Kinguni, wash-out, eh?

I bought a large red plastic tub at HD. I slide the backwash hose through the rope handle and loop it around the inside of the tub a couple times. The water fills the tub and then splashes over the sides.

Other methods: put a piece of lumber at the mouth of the hose, or a 1 foot square paver, to fan the water out.

A friend of mine got way fancy. He cut a semi-circle out of the bottom of a really fat PVC pipe which is maybe 4 ft long. Then he pounded a piece of rebar in the ground and inserted the length of PVC over it so it stands up. Now he takes the backwash hose, threads it through the semicircle in the PVC far enough to make it point upward, and turns on the backwash. He gets the most terrific fountain which all the dogs go nuts over. If I didn't live in the slate belt where you simply do not pound anything into the ground more than an inch, I'd do that.

Anna
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.