Advice on pool cleaner

May 26, 2009
I have a 17.5 by 36.5 oval and I'm considering buying a pool cleaner. I have read the article in pool school but it is a generalization and I don't even know where to begin. When we bought the house, one of the returns was rigged for a polararis I think. There was a separate pump that was burned out for it. Since everything needed an overhaul, we just got rid of it, and tied that return line into the rest of the system. My pool now has 3 returns in the pool, with one being a little more powerfull than the other 2. My backyard faces due south and is in full sun all day. I have no trees on my property except for 2 fruit trees in the back. I have no problems with sticks, acorns, or leaves in the pool. My problem is grass. I get some dirt that blows in but a good once a week vacuum is good enough. However the grass drives me crazy. When I mow the lawn, I ALWAYS get grass in the pool. It's not just that day either, it keeps blowing in over a few day. I get these clumps of grass in the deep end. I have to get out the hand vacuum and suck them up before we go swimming or else our stirring up the water sends grass floating everywhere.

Other than grass, my pool stays very clean (quite a few bugs too, but whatever). I'm thinking suction cleaner is all I would need. I don't need a super fast cleaner, just one that is easiest to put in, let it do it's job and than take it out with little hassle. I'm worried my pool my be too big for a suction cleaner. I'm just tired of dealing with an extention pole. My pump is 1.5 hp hayward super pump.

Just curious to what others use, and what brands are good.

It's not a dumb question, and I forgot to add that part of it. I have a huge yard, so I have a riding mower. I don't have a grass collector, but it's a mulching mower. After I cut the grass, you don't see the grass clippings, but the wind blows them around I guess and within hours I start noticing clumps on the bottom. You also notice small pieces covering the surface. They sink rather quickly forming the clumps. I think a auto cleaner is cheaper than the bagger accessory for the mower, plus it's better for the lawn to mulch the clippings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.