Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

It's not so much a weight thing because the entire structure is probably about 10lbs Sq ft shared on four posts but a shear issue due to the posts and columns having 10-12' of leverage on the footing. It wouldn't take much force to transfer down to the pool and crack the shell.... That would be a very bad day for everyone.

Here you can see that a 100 pound load at the top of the post translates into nearly 1,000 pounds on the post anchor... not to mention all of the other factors at play.

View attachment 70924

But it’s not just the combined total load that matters. A bending moment like that puts the concrete in both tensile and compressive stress. Concrete is great in compression (that’s the often quoted “3000psi concrete” number) but lousy in tension. So you need a much larger “chunk” of concrete to absorb the additional bending forces.

Buts that’s as far as I got in MechE before realizing I liked chemistry a whole lot better ... and calculating load points and bending moments on the purely theoretical “mass-less” truss drove me bonkers :crazy:

That's why the columns have to be 32" square minimum and completely solid shotcrete. I can't imagine what this would look like if it had to support some serious weight.

Thanks for finally chiming in... Kim and I were getting lonely in here :hug:

Having switched to the new theme, I’m currently missing a lot of new posts that I would normally add my unwanted & nonsensical commentary to....perhaps Lee designed it that way :scratch:

Details aside, this pool build is going to epic! Way to go out on a high note :thumleft:

More progress today. Wanger and I remove a window, replaced a window and turned a slider into a window all to make way for the patio cover. Of course new windows were 2" larger than the old ones :brickwall:

Plumbing is just about wrapped up, the lumber delivery and visit from the inspector will be tomorrow.

IMG_20171129_164228243.jpg

IMG_20171129_164206882.jpg

IMG_20171129_103556721.jpg

IMG_20171129_092156487.jpg

IMG_20171129_153456347.jpg

IMG_20171129_164153563.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So who is this Wanger? He looks like hard worker!

Of course the windows were a different size :roll: You have been doing this long enough to know that is how it should be.............nothing is the same or easy!

That spa is going to be neat!!!

Kim:kim:

So who is this Wanger? He looks like hard worker!

I teach at the fire academy and he was one of the students to go through it a little while back. He heard I did construction and asked if I needed help....I had a remodel going that needed almost 2,000 SQ ft of concrete broken out with no access for a tractor so jackhammer only and haul it off in wheelbarrows.

He never complained and asked when I needed him next. He's been around ever since.

His days are numbered though because it looks like he's going to get hired by the fire department.

I just learned not too long ago that his last name is actually Wenger...too late, it's Wanger now

Here he is on that job:

That hill was way stepper than it looked and about 300 feet from where the pool was

IMG_20170426_161628925.jpg

IMG_20170426_161637332.jpg

It's always been Wanger. I like the looks I get from people when I introduce him!

This is Wanger.....:shock:

It would be worse if you referred to him as “this is my wanger.”

- - - Updated - - -

Can I borrow your Wanger, I have a demolition job for him...:laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.