Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

Demo took longer than expected. The patio slab was 6" thick and up to 8" thick in some areas. Whoever poured it was also nice enough to strategically place some #6 rebar :brickwall:

View attachment 70864

Wow! Looks like my 16'x50' patio we tore out when building my pool last spring! The prior homeowner had done a cheap "Samoan" concrete job, and the slab had poor drainage and looked like it had been finished by a 3 yr. old with a broom. My PB thought they could tear it out in a about two hours. Two days later, we figured out it had enough rebar for a bridge! It ranged from 4 to 6 to 8 inches thick.

Wow! Looks like my 16'x50' patio we tore out when building my pool last spring! The prior homeowner had done a cheap "Samoan" concrete job, and the slab had poor drainage and looked like it had been finished by a 3 yr. old with a broom. My PB thought they could tear it out in a about two hours. Two days later, we figured out it had enough rebar for a bridge! It ranged from 4 to 6 to 8 inches thick.

Good old Samoan concrete!

Here's the clean slate. Pretty sad what is cost to demo all the stuff that the previous homeowner probably paid a small fortune for...

.25.jpg

We started on the layout and set the forms. Luckily there is a decent slope at the far rear of the lot that most of the excavated dirt will fill in as well as bring up the grade around the pool. I might even get lucky enough to not have to haul any dirt off...

I placed the lumber order for the patio framing yesterday and was delightfully surprised to find that the price of wood has skyrocketed due to the reconstruction after the hurricanes :|

This will probably be it for the week because of the holiday but I'm hoping to get the patio footing inspected and poured as well as plumbing and rebar started.

.5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Finished up. Plumbing starts Monday.

I'm going to add 3 bubblers on the reef step for the kids. I'm using a VS pump for the water features so I might as well add a little more flow to take advantage of it. They have no idea!

31589.jpeg

31588.jpeg

31591.jpeg

Bubblers for the kids!!! OH man that is going to be so much fun to turn on while they are watching!!! Is there ANY chance they know about TFP? I sure hope not! LOL

Jim I even went back to the first page to see if I could figure out what it was for. Not sure even after looking at the design. :confused:

Kim:kim:

Brian,

What is the square hole in the bottom of the pool for???

Thanks,

Jim R.

They are footings for the columns that will support the pergola structure. They are 6'-6" square X 15" deep with tons of rebar. The columns themselves will be 32" square and 36" higher than the bond beam.

Here's the detail:

IMG_20171115_130913167.jpg

The columns also require custom post bases because none of the offerings available meet lateral resistance loads required. I was planning on making them myself but my uncle volunteered to make them... He's super skilled with metal working and these will be nothing for him to knock out.

IMG_20171119_095451752.jpg

He's very precise so I made sure that he had the exact measurements I needed. I did this in SketchUp - it's an awesome program that's free and has tons of support available to learn.

Screenshot_20171122-175116.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bubblers for the kids!!! OH man that is going to be so much fun to turn on while they are watching!!! Is there ANY chance they know about TFP? I sure hope not! LOL

Jim I even went back to the first page to see if I could figure out what it was for. Not sure even after looking at the design. :confused:

No, I doubt they know about this site but I better watch what I say! They are awesome people and have been a pleasure thus far.

Brian,

Wow, I would not have thought that the pergola would have been that heavy??

But that is why you build pools and I sit here looking at pictures... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's not so much a weight thing because the entire structure is probably about 10lbs Sq ft shared on four posts but a shear issue due to the posts and columns having 10-12' of leverage on the footing. It wouldn't take much force to transfer down to the pool and crack the shell.... That would be a very bad day for everyone.

Here you can see that a 100 pound load at the top of the post translates into nearly 1,000 pounds on the post anchor... not to mention all of the other factors at play.

MPBZ-Design-Example-FINAL.jpg

Had to jump on things hard today to make up for the long weekend. Rough plumbing going in and me and Wanger (pictured below) dug all the footings for the patio, pergola, planters and fireplace.

Rebar going in tomorrow so they'll have to dance with the plumbers.

IMG_20171127_154448260_HDR.jpg

These monsters are for the patio columns:

IMG_20171127_094136815.jpg

IMG_20171127_094127258_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171127_150204256.jpg

IMG_20171127_150209996.jpg

IMG_20171127_150231422.jpg

Corner footers for the pergola and strip footing for the fireplace:

IMG_20171127_162628464_HDR.jpg

b.jpg

"MUST get every inch of yard dug up!" LOL

That is what I thought when I saw this pic and all of the others!

Brian were you saying "This is the last time I will be doing this" with each shovel full of dirt?

View attachment 71030

"MUST get every inch of yard dug up!" LOL

That is what I thought when I saw this pic and all of the others!

Brian were you saying "This is the last time I will be doing this" with each shovel full of dirt?

Nah, I don't mind the work, it's all the other stuff that wears on you. I've really enjoyed this project so far and I can't wait to start putting it together... I've got some more demo coming though :(

Plumbing finishing up and rebar going in.

I had to go with a different rebar contractor because by usual guy let me down... I've been impressed with these guys so far and they've been very receptive to my requests.

Rebar should be done today and plumbing done tomorrow. Hoping for shotcrete sometime next week.

IMG_20171128_083436864.jpg

IMG_20171128_082749143.jpg

IMG_20171128_083441470.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.