Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Riverside, CA - Backyard Overhaul

Funny how things work out. Very glad you were able to find a crew that do it for you.

Now go measure everything to make sure it is correct lol like I need to tell you this
    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #42

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Funny how things work out. Very glad you were able to find a crew that do it for you.

Now go measure everything to make sure it is correct lol like I need to tell you this
    Kim
    Ha! I probably should... I'm just winging this

Barring the inspection passes, shotcrete is scheduled for Saturday
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

3. Back To Top    #43

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    It's not so much a weight thing because the entire structure is probably about 10lbs Sq ft shared on four posts but a shear issue due to the posts and columns having 10-12' of leverage on the footing. It wouldn't take much force to transfer down to the pool and crack the shell.... That would be a very bad day for everyone.

Here you can see that a 100 pound load at the top of the post translates into nearly 1,000 pounds on the post anchor... not to mention all of the other factors at play.

Attachment 70924
    But it’s not just the combined total load that matters. A bending moment like that puts the concrete in both tensile and compressive stress. Concrete is great in compression (that’s the often quoted “3000psi concrete” number) but lousy in tension. So you need a much larger “chunk” of concrete to absorb the additional bending forces.

Buts that’s as far as I got in MechE before realizing I liked chemistry a whole lot better ... and calculating load points and bending moments on the purely theoretical “mass-less” truss drove me bonkers
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #44

In the Industry

That's why the columns have to be 32" square minimum and completely solid shotcrete. I can't imagine what this would look like if it had to support some serious weight.

Thanks for finally chiming in... Kim and I were getting lonely in here
    -Brian-

5. Back To Top    #45

Having switched to the new theme, I’m currently missing a lot of new posts that I would normally add my unwanted & nonsensical commentary to....perhaps Lee designed it that way

Details aside, this pool build is going to epic! Way to go out on a high note
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #46

In the Industry

More progress today. Wanger and I remove a window, replaced a window and turned a slider into a window all to make way for the patio cover. Of course new windows were 2" larger than the old ones

Plumbing is just about wrapped up, the lumber delivery and visit from the inspector will be tomorrow.

IMG_20171129_164228243.jpg

IMG_20171129_164206882.jpg

IMG_20171129_103556721.jpg

IMG_20171129_092156487.jpg

IMG_20171129_153456347.jpg

IMG_20171129_164153563.jpg
    -Brian-

7. Back To Top    #47

In the Industry

My uncle pulled through on those post anchors and here they are. I'll weld them into place tomorrow.

Screenshot_20171129-174128.jpg
    -Brian-

8. Back To Top    #48

You lay pipe well....

I’ll just leave it at that.
    Matt

9. Back To Top    #49

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    You lay pipe well....

I’ll just leave it at that.
    Just wait until you see the equipment pad....

I'm hoping I get to be the first to try this seat in the spa out - tri jets for the back dual calve jets and a floor foot jet

IMG_20171129_164137777.jpg
    -Brian-

10. Back To Top    #50

That is some serious plumbing!! Why two Hartford loops...two air lines?
    Matt

11. Back To Top    #51

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

That is some serious plumbing!! Why two Hartford loops...two air lines?
    I always split and loop the air line and do the same for the return jets. Pipe is cheap, unsatisfied customers.... Not so much
    -Brian-

12. Back To Top    #52

I always split and loop the air line and do the same for the return jets. Pipe is cheap, unsatisfied customers.... Not so much
    Matt

13. Back To Top    #53

So who is this Wanger? He looks like hard worker!

Of course the windows were a different size You have been doing this long enough to know that is how it should be.............nothing is the same or easy!

That spa is going to be neat!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #54

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    So who is this Wanger? He looks like hard worker!
    I teach at the fire academy and he was one of the students to go through it a little while back. He heard I did construction and asked if I needed help....I had a remodel going that needed almost 2,000 SQ ft of concrete broken out with no access for a tractor so jackhammer only and haul it off in wheelbarrows.

He never complained and asked when I needed him next. He's been around ever since.

His days are numbered though because it looks like he's going to get hired by the fire department.

I just learned not too long ago that his last name is actually Wenger...too late, it's Wanger now

Here he is on that job:

That hill was way stepper than it looked and about 300 feet from where the pool was

IMG_20170426_161628925.jpg

IMG_20170426_161637332.jpg
    -Brian-

15. Back To Top    #55

He sounds like the kind of people that gives you hope for the future! Hard working and coming back for more! I bet you are proud of him!

Kim

16. Back To Top    #56

Hahahahaha...you should have just called him “chuck” ....
    Matt

17. Back To Top    #57

In the Industry

It's always been Wanger. I like the looks I get from people when I introduce him!

This is Wanger.....
    -Brian-

18. Back To Top    #58

It's always been Wanger. I like the looks I get from people when I introduce him!

This is Wanger.....
    It would be worse if you referred to him as “this is my wanger.”

- - - Updated - - -

Can I borrow your Wanger, I have a demolition job for him...
    Matt

19. Back To Top    #59

In the Industry

I don't like letting my Wanger hang out with just anyone
    -Brian-

20. Back To Top    #60

Oh sure, shows us your Wanger and then hide him away....you’re such a tease...
    Matt

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast