Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
What would be the full scope of work for resurfacing a pool. Obviously removal and reinstall if new surface.
Replacing all pvc items? If keeping existing tile, clean it? Redo the coping or sealing with silicone (between tile and deck)?

What would be the full scope of work for resurfacing a pool. Obviously removal and reinstall if new surface.
Replacing all pvc items? If keeping existing tile, clean it? Redo the coping or sealing with silicone (between tile and deck)?
It all depends on what you want. You need to discuss with your pool contractor what and whatnot!

The problem is, in our region there is no such thing as off season for PB’s and small contractors. Licensed PB’s are in high demand all year round and prioritized their project based on profitability! You might find it very challenging to convince a pool contractor to come over for a quote. Good Luck with that! Based on my experience, a $20k pool remodeling work will not attract a hungry contractor in SoCal. Unless they are your relatives, friends or friend of a friend…

Our pool is due for re-plaster, new tile and coping. Out of 8 local PB’s I called, only one showed up after numerous cancelations on his part. It took almost a month since initiation. I wasted no time and signed the quotation without looking any further. A sub con came over 2 weeks later and chipped off the plaster and waterline tiles. It took them half a day but left a pile of dirt in my yard since they came with a truck half full of dirt from another site.

The expected time of completion is one month as agreed but the only work occurred as mentioned above was 4 weeks ago. To date, I have no idea when my PB will resume the work. I can only push enough and beg. No mention of down payment but I feel I am at my PB’s mercy and all I can do now is wait….

So plan ahead and Good Luck….

KD,

Those are three separate items and they will give you a price on each on..

You will get a price on the new plaster with options for regular plaster, pebble, etc...

You will get a price to replace the tile with options for standard tile and upgraded tile.

You will get a price to replace the coping with options for the different types of coping.

They normally replace the PVC eyeballs when they re-plaster.

Here is the DFW area, they don't generally remove the old plaster by chipping it all off. If you want the old plaster removed you need to tell them and expect to pay more.

Anything other than the above would have to be worked out between you and the contractor doing the job.

I recommend you use a plaster company and not use a pool builder, who will just hire the subs anyway.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

@OP, not trying to hijack but Jim brought up an interesting topic that might serve your best interest.

Here is the DFW area, they don't generally remove the old plaster by chipping it all off. If you want the old plaster removed you need to tell them and expect to pay more.
@Jim, my next-door neighbor resurfaced their pool a few months ago and I recall, the old plaster was not completely removed. I am baffled because our plaster was completely removed and they even gone deeper in some areas exposing the rebar. What's the advantage of having all the plaster removed?

I’ve been doing commercial and rez property management for a while and am never surprised by carelessness and messiness of sub contractors. Many do great work...but they’re a wacky bunch.
My pool builder was reasonably on top of everything, but could have improved contacting us about what to expect, when and estimated timeline. Our pebble is in, but some items I felt they went above expectations and left others to incompetent subs. I just wish I could expect a simple coat of silicone on our coping. One even jackhammered a hole in my obsolete, but prized floor cleaning system floor fittings ($11k option when we originally built pool in ‘86) really upset me, but I remedied it. They damage other stuff and are generally careless and making careless errors and are rough on things.
I’m all on board to finding the subs myself, and doing a pool resurface by project managing it myself, but this time we added a pool shelf and our builder gave us a fair price and finished in just under 4 weeks so wife and I are happy. Boom, a simple resurface: Hire a plaster removal guy, tile cleaner and someone to install surface of your choice, probably save 30% off a PB, BUT, dealing with subs is recipe for a nightmare if you don’t know them & their tricks. So many have walked off with 10-20% material deposits and are never heard from again. A unexpectant homeowner will swiftly get taken by giving a sub even 50% payment and maybe has to wait months for job completion. Too much anxiety for my blood. DIY has its limitations.

@OP, not trying to hijack but Jim brought up an interesting topic that might serve your best interest.

@Jim, my next-door neighbor resurfaced their pool a few months ago and I recall, the old plaster was not completely removed. I am baffled because our plaster was completely removed and they even gone deeper in some areas exposing the rebar. What's the advantage of having all the plaster removed?

M,

I have no idea what the difference is, but I had two pools resurfaced here and they just looked for hollow places and took those out, applied some type of bonding agent, and then re-plastered. They did not offer or even talk about taking all the plaster off. Most of the pools I have seen pictures of in CA. that were being re-plastered, seemed to have all the plaster removed first. I would assume removing the old plaster must increase the price by $2K or so.

Common sense says taking it all off and starting over is better, but I'm not sure how much better...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.