Limited Automation

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
With my recent addition of the variable speed pump, I'm leaning toward some automation, mostly for filter/vaccum automation.

I was looking at the Hayward OnCommand module as an add-on. My only issue is I have four valves and it only supports three. I don't need light controls, etc. I just removed a propane heater for the spa. I will eventually replace it.

Any recommendations?

dab,

To switch between the Spa and the Pool normally takes two valves, the Intake valve and the Return valve. A valve to turn on/off the vacuum would be the third valve. What does your forth valve do, and does it need to be automated?

Thanks,

Jim R.

1: 3 way for returns to spa/pool
2: Filter/Drain for Spa
3: Skimmer in pool
4: 3 way for pool drain or vacuum.

I'm pretty sure it's correct. Honestly, I had not even thought about where the plumbing was going or coming from until I started researching actuators. We had simply followed the handwritten valve positioning provided by the previous owners (and builders). The diagram ended up being inaccurate.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a budget. However, when I look at spending $1000 or so, I think "That's another set of irons I could buy". :)

I looked at a zodiac - the model I looked at wasn't compatible with my pump. I'll look again.

1: 3 way for returns to spa/pool
2: Filter/Drain for Spa
3: Skimmer in pool
4: 3 way for pool drain or vacuum.

I'm pretty sure it's correct. Honestly, I had not even thought about where the plumbing was going or coming from until I started researching actuators. We had simply followed the handwritten valve positioning provided by the previous owners (and builders). The diagram ended up being inaccurate.

dab,

While it can work, I never recommend using automation that is not the same brand as the Pump and SWCG. It just keeps the confusion to a minimum... :p

I'm sure what you say about your valves is correct, but I can't picture how they work together in your pool. Can you please post a pic of your equipment pad showing the valves?

Depending on how the valves are plumbed into your system, it may be possible to get away with just automating three of your existing valves...

Thanks,

Jim R.

View attachment 70680
This is all I have on my phone. This was my youngest son's running around taking pics right after the storm.
Some correction

Top valve is out to Spa and pool (thru Chlorinator)
Middle is the Skimmer in pool
Bottom Left - Vacuum/Floor Drain
Bottom Right - Spa Drain

This is before I installed the new pump and got rid of the heater.

I like to do things "on the cheap". My automation is a Rainbird six station sprinkler timer I got at a garage sale for $5. It runs my Jandy valves and my liquid CL pump several times a day with no issues. You just need to know how to set the clock to coincide with the VSP timer. I am very much against spending big bucks on high-end wifi and blue tooth enabled automation centers with smart phone apps and all that stuff.

dab,

Now I understand why I could not picture how things were connected in my mind.. That is a somewhat unusual plumbing configuration.

Unfortunately, you would have to re-plumb the connections between the Skimmer, Main Drain, and Vacuum in order to use only three valves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. I don't mind re-plumbing. A friend is in a similar situation -- except he built his pool. Everything is automated except for the vacuum. He manually turns the valve.

I would like to automate the valves for vacuum, skim and filter the spa. I'm not sure why the main drain is essentially always on.

a Four way between the pump, main drain, vacuum and skimmer would do the trick?

- - - Updated - - -

I like to do things "on the cheap". My automation is a Rainbird six station sprinkler timer I got at a garage sale for $5. It runs my Jandy valves and my liquid CL pump several times a day with no issues. You just need to know how to set the clock to coincide with the VSP timer. I am very much against spending big bucks on high-end wifi and blue tooth enabled automation centers with smart phone apps and all that stuff.

Are the valves controllable for three ways?

dab,

I would plumb the Skimmer and Main Drain into one 3-way valve. This would be a manual valve and allow you to select either the Skimmer or Main Drain or a combination of both.

The output of this new valve would then feed an automated 3-way valve then selects either the output of the "Skimmer/Main Drain" valve or the vacuum. The output of this valve would go to one of the input pipes on the current Intake valve (this is right in front of the pump). This combination would allow you to automate the valves so that you are sucking water from either the Pool, or Spa, or vacuum.

Then you would need to Automate your current Return valve so that it sends water to the Spa or to the Pool...

3-way valves are really just two way valves when automated... You either use one input port or the other, more of an on/off function.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the Vac, skimmer and main vac, wouldn't I need four ports where one would being going out?

The image cuts off that section. The lower left valve has the left port for the main drain and the top is the vacuum heading out. Adding the skimmer would add another port. Are there four port valves?

EDIT: I could use one valve for the two drains with a three port, with one port coming from the skim/vac valve. The pipes are next two each other -- that make for some pretzel action.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.