Water softener connected to auto fill, and new plaster start up.

Re: Water softener connected to auto fill, and new plaster start up.

1. You add reagent until the color no longer changes, then subtract the last drop.

Just the tip I was looking for! Easy and reliable, too. Will do!

3. There should be a fleck or two of undissolved powder in the sample. Otherwise use a bit more powder. You said "I titrate until I see no yellow at all". Mine is pink. I have the TF100 but I think those tests are the same.

OK, I'll watch for that. Yes, I meant pink (the cap on the reagent is yellow!).

4. You will still get 'some' calcium deposits on your water line tile. Just that fact that the water wicks up the grout lines and evaporates will create some deposits. I use a scrubby around the water line (when the pool is warm enough to be in ) to knock off the minor calcium deposit.

Good to know, I'll make the grandsons do it!

You should never get any calcium deposits below the water line as long as you maintain your CSI appropriately.

That is great news!

I knew those pool guys were not taking care of my levels correctly!

Funny bit: I wrote several days ago to the maintenance company I was using to give them notice that I'd be taking over the pool upkeep and that "I'd call them when I need them." No response... I had to call them today to confirm and the receptionist had no idea. She has to call the pool guy in the field to tell him not to come today. They don't even know enough about pool maintenance to know when they're fired!! :eek:

Funny bit: I wrote several days ago to the maintenance company I was using to give them notice that I'd be taking over the pool upkeep and that "I'd call them when I need them." No response... I had to call them today to confirm and the receptionist had no idea. She has to call the pool guy in the field to tell him not to come today. They don't even know enough about pool maintenance to know when they're fired!! :eek:

OK, I'm probably just amusing myself at this point, but here's the rest of the story about firing the maintenance company. Wrote them on Wednesday, called them Friday to confirm... to keep them from coming out. Guy still shows up Friday!

But before he leaves, we start talking about the aerating I'm doing. He'd never heard of such of thing. I explained I'm trying to lower TA without lowering pH. He jumps right in with the "acid slug" thing, whatever it's called, whatever it is. Wasn't that debunked? Adding acid is adding acid and doesn't affect TA how you pour it in, right? Yah, they're right up to speed on pool chem tech. So then I ask if I can see his test kit, curious about what he uses. It's a Taylor, but bigger than mine. Is that the "C" model? He then offers to check the TA before he goes, I figure "what the heck." I watch him do it. Pretty sure it's the same test I'm doing. He does the "quick dip" from the surface, then "the shake" to get close to the test line... so far so good! In goes the green. Then the titrate. Drop, drop, drop. The water turns clear and he declares "It's at 90, you're TA is fine!"

I've been getting around 140-150 all week, from both my new K-2006 and even with the cheapie I was using before the Taylor showed up.

Correct me if I'm wrong... Is there any other Taylor TA test? One that might be finished when the water is clear? Isn't it supposed to be red? So he would have gone on his merry way, he did go on his merry way, thinking my TA was fine. That my water was fine. Yikes.

Oh, but before he leaves (for the last time!!), he dumps the test water into my pool. Something that always used to bug me, even before I knew better! See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

So glad I took over my new plaster start up. So glad I'll be taking care of my own chem's from now on. So glad to be here at TFP...

Read this - Acid column myth

As far as the TA test -- did he use the reagent (R-0007) to neutralize the chlorine?

And you should not 'shake' any of the water test samples. Gently swirl (that is why the SpeedStir is great).

And, it is best to NOT dump your left over testing fluids in the pool.

Take care.

I dump mine outside the garage door on the ground. I do live in the desert - so no plants nearby and the crushed granite soil could not be harmed with a nuclear device.

I do see the links have failed on that thread. ChemGeek (Richard) was one of the founders of this site and TFPC. Even if the links are broke, I would take his word that it is a myth and to never do it. The potential to damage your pool shell is high.

Take care.

Thanks for that PDF, Leebo. Interesting stuff.

I see that several quotes and comments were edited out of my post #44. I want to be respectful here, did I broach some sort of taboo? They were observations about how my pool guy was testing the water, and what to do with test water waste...

They were observations about how my pool guy was testing the water, and what to do with test water waste...

I still see all your comments pertaining to that in your post #42 ----

I still see all your comments pertaining to that in your post #42 ----

No, there's definitely missing text from #44. I had quoted each of your lines from #43. In which I answered your previous question about "R-0007," explained what I meant by "shake," and asked everybody where they dump their test water.

Which you then answered in #45.

It's not a big deal. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't writing things I shouldn't, thought not sure what that might have been. I'm thinking computer glitch? Or an inadvertent delete by one the site admins?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Welcome to modern methods, bye 60's methods. If you really want some confused faces you can ask about the clorine/cya relationship!

I've become quite an evangelist! Probably annoyingly so. I gave an earful to my new neighbor across the street. About my pool and his. He just bought the house and took over the pool care himself. I told him about TFP. Be interesting to see if he checks it out.

Then last night, I went on and on about my pool, its damage, the remodel, and my newly found belief system (TFP!!) to my son-in-law's father. His pool is completely trashed. Blistering. And a complete algae cesspool. I think he brought that on himself, because he ignored his pool guy's advice to replace the water some time ago (maybe a year or more). Now the pool guy can't get the water under control. But then his wife described how he broke out with some sort of skin rash by swimming in it! So not all pool fiasco's can be solely attributed to pool companies. Owner's shoot themselves in the foot, too! I told him about TFP, too.

I find it telling, though, that he and I just discovered that his pool guy is none other than the company that destroyed my pool with the acid wash!! Not good. I went on about calcium levels, and CYA levels, etc (what I learned here). I can't help but think his pool would not be in such bad shape if the pool guy had been doing his job (which he clearly was not when it came to my pool). He had the same complaint: his pool guy was actually an ever-rotating cast of new guys, who, I'd have to guess weren't thoroughly trained.

My in-laws don't seem like the kind of people that would be interested in taking care of their own pool (they said so, in fact). I suggested a hybrid solution, once they get their pool straightened out. (I'm sure a remodel is in their near future.) As in: use a pool service, but get your own kit and at least monitor what's going on with your water once is a while. I wonder if that is a viable model.

I know TFP promotes taking care of your own pool. People like me (us) can do just that. But does TFP offer any ideas for people like my in-laws? Obviously they want a nice pool with healthy water, but they just don't want to, or can't, do all that is required themselves (age, bandwidth, logistics, whatever). Thoughts?

Any who... was just curious about anyone's thoughts about the pool guy's culpability in a situation like that. They told the owner his pool water was done, a while ago. They can't control the algae now (not with just weekly visits, anyway). But they just keep showing up, and dumping more chem's in it, I presume. At what point should they demand the owners do something? Or are they off the hook because they at least tried? Put's them in a tough spot, for sure. But they are, in essence, allowing a very unsafe situation to fester.

I was told that our local pool service co's are under the scrutiny of a local gov agency. Health department, maybe? Not sure. Of course, expecting a government agency to properly oversee how pool service co's perform is as crazy a notion as expecting pool service co's to properly oversee a pool!!

Bitter much, Dirk? ;)

OK, I better go take care of my own pool now, and stop worrying so much about others'!!

Pool service+home owner care=CAN work IF the home owner has a test kit and is will to work with the service.

Here is another idea:

-Put a test kit AND a SWG under the tree for them. (link to SWG here: Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators)

-Put a card in their stocking for your Labor..........you will drain and refill the pool as needed once you find out just how high their CYA is.

-Once you have the CYA under control then you SLAM the pool for them. (link to SLAM here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain)

We can/will guide you the whole way.

Let me know what you think about this idea!

Kim:kim:

Pool service = solid forms of clorine = high cya = needs high clorine = 60's pool care with 1-3 ppm clorine regardless of cya = green pool = pathogens in water = huge health risk -> drain water and start cycle over

Ohh add $50-$200 worth of pool service fees, magic potions, and frustration at each section

Crazy right!

In many ways I do what your in-laws should do. You must have a SWCG. Then the pool service adds acid each week and cleans the pool. They (or you) should test occasionally to adjust the SWCG output but after one year you can pretty much do that by the calendar. Every month the CYA should be tested. TA each month also and it might need forced down but that can be done in a day or so.

Good luck.

Pool service = solid forms of clorine = high cya = needs high clorine = 60's pool care with 1-3 ppm clorine regardless of cya = green pool = pathogens in water = huge health risk -> drain water and start cycle over

Ohh add $50-$200 worth of pool service fees, magic potions, and frustration at each section

Crazy right!

This is EXACTLY what my previous pool guys were doing. EXACTLY what they are doing for my in-laws... It is crazy.

Is there any effort being made to have pool care better regulated by government? I don't know what that would look like, or how effective it would be, but there are building codes, and health codes and laws about medical care, etc, etc, all intended to protect the unsuspecting public from things the average person would not likely know. I guess enough people haven't gotten sick enough to call attention to it.

In many ways I do what your in-laws should do. You must have a SWCG. Then the pool service adds acid each week and cleans the pool. They (or you) should test occasionally to adjust the SWCG output but after one year you can pretty much do that by the calendar. Every month the CYA should be tested. TA each month also and it might need forced down but that can be done in a day or so.

Good luck.

This is what I'm going to try to get them to do... Thx.

Related topic: I've found your pool care checklist here, and what to do each day, week, etc. That'll be my routine once start up is done.

Do you all brush your pools regularly? Even if you have an automated cleaner? Every day? Every week? If the water is in balance, and vacuumed (mine gets vacuumed daily), what is brushing doing?

Since startup, I've been brushing every day. I find it kind of zen-like. But, to be honest, I'm not sure I will maintain that "fun" every day, indefinitely...

I would say at least twice a week or so.

A little back story.....my husband's only job is to brush the pool's walls. I take care of everything else. It works for us when he does his "job". I was in the pool one day and noticed a slight discoloration on the wall of the pool. When I brushed it there was a cloud of yellowish green that came off the wall :shock: I know the FC was where it should be and had been all along so what was going on?

I ask hubby when he last brushed the pool............"I don't remember. It looks find." I then rubbed the wall by where he was standing so he could see the cloud. He could not get in the pool fast enough LOL He now brushed the walls at least every 3 days. hehe

Live and learn!

I would say at least twice a week or so.

A little back story.....my husband's only job is to brush the pool's walls. I take care of everything else. It works for us when he does his "job". I was in the pool one day and noticed a slight discoloration on the wall of the pool. When I brushed it there was a cloud of yellowish green that came off the wall :shock: I know the FC was where it should be and had been all along so what was going on?

I ask hubby when he last brushed the pool............"I don't remember. It looks find." I then rubbed the wall by where he was standing so he could see the cloud. He could not get in the pool fast enough LOL He now brushed the walls at least every 3 days. hehe

Live and learn!

I'm continuing my late-night pool education. I'm still working through Pool School and have read a couple other "newbie" threads, too. The reoccurring theme, besides testing and adding bare-min chemicals, seems to be the care intervals. Daily, every few days, weekly, monthly, etc. I am re-training my thinking for my pool's care (which prior to finding TFP was "nothing" and "let the pool guy do it.") But one thing is crystal clear... there's no way to keep a pool healthy by spending only 10 minutes a week on it, especially in the summer. I hope to get a routine down pat and minimize the work, reminding myself "that's $150 dollars a month you just saved!!" But no significant other to help. Maybe the grandsons will pitch in when they get a bit older. Hey, if they want to bring their girlfriends over when they hit high school, they can brush!! ;)

Once my SWCG kicks in next spring, that'll help. I was checking out Pentair's acid-adding systems. Pricey. Wonder if they are worth it... That's not something to worry about just now, but I've been told saltwater pool = adding acid. Be nice if I didn't have to do that by hand so often. But I digress, I'll take that up in another thread some other time. For now, I'm concentrating on FC, pH and TC, and working on my soft water auto fill system. Should be done tomorrow. And that, after all, is where I started with this thread. I'll post pic's when it's done...

Dirk, I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. They also work for new pool care givers. I know you have seen some of them but want to make sure you see all of them.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

"I've been meaning to..." I swear!! But now I did, see:

bookmarks.jpg

I added the C/C chart, too!

Thx Kim!

By the way, Pool Math is amazing. Such an incredible resource, I've been using that a couple times a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.