Advice for setup of New VS Pump

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
Good morning,

I recently installed the Hayward 3400VSP. I have been running it 24/7 at 1000 RPM, with a few hours on full blast for vacuuming.

All the "in" pipes are 1.5 -- outs are 2 inch. I've been having issues with the chlorine levels being low to non-existent.

With my current setup, any recommendations on settings would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using the in line chlorinator? In FL you may want to think about switching to SWG (salt water chlorine generator).

I'm not familiar with that chlorinator but it could be the flow isn't high enough through the chlorinator to dissolve the pucks quick enough. Add some bleach to bring FC up to 10 and see if you can pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You may be at the beginning of an algae bloom.

If you haven't already consider picking up a quality test kit like the TF-100 from tfteskits.net or the Taylor K-2006C. Both give much more accurate and repeatable results than most other test kits.

Most people on this forum have stopped using solid forms of chlorine so it may be difficult for someone to say what has worked best for them. My guess is you will need to run at a higher RPM to get the pucks to dissolve quicker. I would suggest you supplement with liquid chlorine to keep your pool sanitary while figuring out what RPM to run at.

If I remember correctly back when I was using the Frog system to chlorinate my pool my pump was at 1200 RPMs or so and my FC stayed in the 1-2 area according to the junk test strips I was using. That level was way too low for my pool and I was putting my family and friends at risk. Your FC needs to be kept in line with the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Read up a little bit in pool school at the top of this page. Good place to start is ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, I would also suggest reading this section:Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Good luck!

What setting is the chlorinator on? Did you try setting it to max? My first thought is the flow isn’t adequate enough to dissolve the pucks within the chlorinator. Turn the pump off and open it up and see if they are dissolving or not. But I’d do this to check: 1) use a quality test kit and measure FC as is. 2) Dose with enough bleach to bring to sanitary levels according to CYA. 3) Run pump at least 50%-75% speed for 3-4 hours a day for a few days with chlorinator set to max. 4) check FC at same time each day and record FC drop. If FC doesn’t drop as fast, stays constant, or rises it’s the flow rate. If it drops to zero still, you might have other possible algae issues.

17.7k gal, 98 ft perimeter, IG quartz, 3HP EcoStar VSP, 1.5HP TriStar Dual Speed, 725 sq ft SwimClear Cartridge, Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount clear O3, Pro Logic controller, 500k BTU heater, AquaVac 500, Spillover Spa, 3 sheer waterfalls, 3 bubblers.

Coincidentally, I turned it up this morning and ramped the pump to 50% for the day. Changing two variables isn't the best way to troubleshoot. But, if the tests end up OK, at least I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Thank you

DAB,

First, how many Tablets do you have in the chlorinator? Are they 1" or 3"?

Next, you need to get solid accurate readings re your pool water for:

FC
CC
TC = FC + CC
CH
TA
pH
CYA

Once you have done these tests yourself [pool stores are a joke and completely unreliable], then we can determine what you need to do now, why and what you need to do long term. It will also dictate how all your settings need to be configured.

Using the Tablets [aka pucks] is not a bad thing at first if your CYA is too low. But, once your CYA is stabilized, you need to switch to all liquid CL, aka bleach, Clorox [8% and not splashless or scented].

Pls get a your own reliable pool testing kit. once you have your true readings, we will be able to tell you what levels to set your pump, how to set your chlorinator for now if your CYA it too low, things to add to get your pool water stabilized.

Finally, how or why did you pick the Hayward 3400VSP? Also, if you look in your pool electrical box, can you determine what type of breaker is serving your VSP?

good luck, tstex

Shortened answer - I clicked Reply To Thread and had to start over :)

3" tabs

The Cl is testing spiked right now -- reangents are new (I think) -- lowering the chlorinator (about 3 right now) - FC and CC are very high.
Would Clorox be the regular household bleach or the liquid from pool supply types?

We use our own kit -- don't use pool supply companies ever anymore.

Chose the pump based on brand loyalty, friends and cursory research. Wish I would have found these forums first -- too late :)

I'll check the box when I get home.

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.