Pool from Sam's

G

I purchased a good size pool from Sam's club and am trying to find out if I can leave this type of pool out year round.
I live in Southeast Texas, therefore am not sure if these types of pools are resistant to keeping it up or would I have to take down before winter comes around.

Any suggestions would be great form anyone familiar with this type of pool.

It is an 18'x48" Steel Frame Vinyl Linar Above ground pool. Holds approx. 6,432 of water. When I bought the pool, the pump is supposed to filter 1,500 gallons of water per hour.
I would like to submit a pics. but I don't know how.

Hi sandywillow,

You can upload your photos to Photobucket.com.

Then copy the IMG code and paste it in your message here. Choose the "large" size when uploading.

It's easy, fast and free :-D

Welcome to the forum :wave:

looks like different opinions here about this topic and it may be one of those situations that you take your chances either way, wether leaving it up and/or taking it down.
I am going to do a little bit more research before I give up on this one.

Thanks for your responses.

Hi my Mom has an Intex similar to yours. It is the gray liner which is slightly heavier than the blue but same basic idea. We are in South central Tx just south east of SA. It was up all winter with no damage as were several others in the area. Keep in mind though we had no ice this year. I think around here it is up to you how you want to balance the risks to your liner verses the hazel and expense of pulling it down and storing it.

We have that same pool, live in Michigan and have left it up the past 2 winters. Michigan winters are tough. Pool has suffered no ill effects... :rant: I want it to fall down as this was our starter pool and when it wears out then dh will agree to upgrade. :roll:

TracyG said:
We have that same pool, live in Michigan and have left it up the past 2 winters. Michigan winters are tough. Pool has suffered no ill effects... :rant: I want it to fall down as this was our starter pool and when it wears out then dh will agree to upgrade. :roll:

:lol: "Darn, how DID that tear in the liner get there?!" :wink: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
TracyG said:

:lol: "Darn, how DID that tear in the liner get there?!" :wink: :mrgreen:

Daughter is having a little party in two weeks with 10 kids...you never know what could happen! :lol:

I think the only thing you would need to worry about are hard freezes. I live near the border of Harris and Galveston Counties and over the past 4 years we have only had 2 or 3 nights when a hard freeze warning was issued that far south. Unless we get a rare deep freeze where the temp drops below 32 for more than a few hours I don't think you will have any weather related issues leaving the pool up. Just remember leaving the pool up over winter doesn't mean ignoring it. I ignored mine last winter and boy did I pay for it in the spring!

Hello,

Let me reemphasize zea3's warning not to ignore the pool during the winter. I left mine up through the "winter", southeast of San Antonio. I disconnected the pump to store it where it wouldn't freeze. Then I lowered the water level in the pool to only about 2 feet and let it sit. (Who needs chemicals when no one is swimming? :hammer: )

The liner did not suffer from a few mornings of heavy frost and it did not rip in February's 65+ mpi winds. However, the brown sponge monster took over. I scooped and fought the stuff for weeks. My pool was saved from destruction by the unfailing efforts of Tabicat and the great people on this website.

TabiMom

While you may be able to leave the pool up all winter and not have any physical damage, if you let the water go, you will be in trouble in the spring.

Intex filters are notoriously inadequate for CLEARING UP a problem. They can be effective if you stay on top of your water chemistry and avoid an algae bloom, but it is very difficult to clear a problem, especially the size of TabiCat's "brown sponge" :p ew!

It might be less work just to take it down, or, if you let it go over the winter, drain, clean and refill it in the spring instead of trying to clear it.

I did the same with an 18' Easy-Set back when I was in Katy. No weather problems, but the water did get pretty bad, largely due to massive tree cover dumping leaves into the pool. It took some doing to clear the water (a leaf vacuum helped), but as I said, there was no pool damage.

This may seem like a silly question, but I just read about winterizing your ABG pool and it says to drain it down 6" below the return valve, I'm wondering if the pool cover will still fit properly without the water to the top? Anyone with experience and an Easy Set Pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.