Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another!!! CYA Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Another!!! CYA Question

I tried to use the search function, and it didn't go too well , so here goes.

Started the season with a CYA level of about 35, and really had not paid too much attention to it in the last month or so. Kids have been swimming daily for weeks(so a fair amount of splash out), and we are on our 18th!! straight day of 100F days, so I am sure evaporation has played a part(I have an auto fill).

Have noticed over the last week or so my cl usage has increased from a quite consistent 2.0 to 2.5 ppm a day to 3.5 to 4.5 ppm. I then proceed to check the CYA level, and it might be 20. Time to add some!!!

I have a cartridge filter, and do not plan on cleaning it anytime soon(doesn't need it). Last time I added CYA, I had no POP, and bought liquid. This time I am going to add granular, and have a couple of questions.

1) I can dilute it in a bucket, and pour it directly in to the skimmer, with the pump running?
    2) How long should I leave the pump on after the addition?
    3) The pool rec. HOT, full sun for 12+ hours a day. My previous level was 35. Should I shoot for 40 to 50 with this addition to decrease cl usage?? How big a difference will the increased CYA level make in cl usage??

As always, thanks in advance for ALL the great info!!!

C-Ya!! Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another!!! CYA Question

Evaporation won't affect CYA, but splashout will. (Also backwashing but with a cart that's a non-issue.)

If you put the stuff in the skimmer, leave the pump on 24/7 for a few days. If you have a 2-speed pump, low is okay.

I remember somebody saying they dissolved CYA in hot water and that worked pretty well. It doesn't dissolve very fast in normal temps.

Shooting for a higher CYA level sounds appropriate for your situation.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

How did you test your CYA? Pool store or home test kit (which kit)? Are you sure it's the CYA and not organics? Please post a full set of test results.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I tryed dissolving it in warm water a couple of times and just don't have the POP it takes let it dissolve. It takes a long time. So now, I just pour 10 oz at a time in the skimmer sock and it'll disappear in about 2 hours. I let the pump run about 10 hrs after to let it finish dissolving the fine particles trapped in the filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    How did you test your CYA? Pool store or home test kit (which kit)? Are you sure it's the CYA and not organics? Please post a full set of test results.
    Tested CYA with a Taylor 2005 kit. TF DPD kit for cl.
    As of 7:30 am today:

FC=6.0( Have always use this value as target)
    CC=0
    ph=7.6
    TA=80
    CH=360
    CYA= about 20

Never really have had any issues with any of those values. PH rises slightly over a week period, have to add about 12 oz of MA a week. Waterfall runs a lot when the kids swim, though. Have used 12.5% cl for the last 4 months to sanitize.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Evaporation won't affect CYA, but splashout will. (Also backwashing but with a cart that's a non-issue.)

If you put the stuff in the skimmer, leave the pump on 24/7 for a few days. If you have a 2-speed pump, low is okay.

I remember somebody saying they dissolved CYA in hot water and that worked pretty well. It doesn't dissolve very fast in normal temps.

Shooting for a higher CYA level sounds appropriate for your situation.
    --paulr
    What he said
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com