New Pool Buda (just south of Weird) Texas - November 2017

skeptik

Silver Supporter
Aug 16, 2017
Buda, Texas
Buda is a small town in Hays county Texas that is just a few miles south of Austin (where "Keep Austin Weird" is the slogan). Well, Buda is "just south of Weird" and we have just started the process of building a new pool. I will try to document the process and our experience without going into too much detail because my intent is to inform and not to put you to sleep.

Selecting Our Contractor:

Steps:
1. We started with the Better Business Bureau and selected only those pool contractors that had an A+ rating.
2. We then went to Yelp and read reviews on all of the contractors that we could find that we identified in Step 1.
3. We searched the web to see if there were any additional complaints that we could find on those contractors
4. We looked carefully at the web pages of pool builders and noted if their web site was functioning well or if had broken links or appeared to be poorly designed. The idea was that if a pool builder did not maintain their web site, there were chances that other aspects of their business was also neglected.
5. When we called to ask for bids, if the pool builder did not call us back within one week we would reject that builder because we believed that any builder that does not respond to bid requests was neglecting his or her business.
6. Of those remaining, we ranked the contractors from least to most complaints and selected the top 4 (with the least complaints) for bids.
7. We interviewed and allowed each contractor to give us a drawing and sales pitch and a bid.
8. We asked for references
9. We weighed feedback from references against price

We were fortunate in that the contractor with the lowest price also had built two pools in our neighborhood and so we were able to contact our neighbors and received glowing references. We actually viewed a pool that had been recently completed and were quite impressed. With good references - not across the central Texas area but right here in our own subdivision - we felt that we had a winner.

Contracting:
One of the things that impressed us about our contractor was that he told us "no matter who you pick, don't pay them any money up front and hold back 10% until the job is completed to your satisfaction". We already knew that, but still it was nice to have the contractor proactively state that.

We very carefully read the contract through two times and took notes about things that made us less than comfortable. We discussed each of these items with the contractor and found him to be flexible and he made the changes that we requested. This proved to be much less of a hassle than we thought it might be. Glad we didn't have to reject our best bid but we would have done so rather than sign a contract that made us less than comfortable.

We told our contractor that we would need to check on permits before we signed.

Permits:

While our mailing address is Buda, TX - we actually don't live in the city limits but are on two acres about halfway between Buda and Driftwood TX. Being "out in the county" we were not certain if we needed a permit. So I called Hays County Development services and - sure enough - we do have to have a permit. So is that a big hassle? Actually it was not too bad. There were a few glitches in the application process that cost us a few days of time and $50 bucks but from there it was easy. I had to draw a site plan and provide tax receipts and some other info to the county. The staff at Hays County Development services (Mary and April) were both very nice and super helpful. The process required by the county was really just related to FEMA requirements pertaining to flood plains and placement of the pool with regard to our septic system. It was a paper review with no on-site visit. So we got our permit last week.

Contracted!

After clearing the permit hurdle, we signed the contract on November 3rd.

Quick Start!

I had to take down some small trees, trim a lot of limbs, and remove 3 sections of fence over the weekend (November 4th. and 5th.) to provide access for the equipment.

The morning of the 6th. the excavation crew came out.
They came with a small dump truck and a Cat!
Cat Cat.jpg

(well they brought the backhoe, the other cat is ours). Construction photos coming soon!

Last edited:
s,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool builders who live in a city named after a fat "belly"... :shark:

Sounds like you did a very good job of vetting your pool builder... I just hope you did as good a job of deciding on how you plan to sanitize your pool.

Tell us how you will be chlorinating your pool and what equipment you are getting...

Thanks for joining and I hope you enjoy your time here,

Jim R.

EXCAVATION:

Excavation began on November 6th.

The geology of the Buda area is generally comprised of 8 to 24 inches of top soil and under that are large sheets of Edwards Limestone This means that the first foot or two of earth is easy to excavate but beyond that, you are dealing with mostly rock. This drives the cost of the pool up significantly since the rock must be broken up with a rock hammer before it can be removed.

This week the crews have removed about 16 dump trucks of soil and rock. One nice thing about our contractor is that the excavated spoils are removed from the premises just as quickly as they can be loaded. We do not have piles of rubble stacking up on our property.

At the end of the day on November 10th. the pool is shaping up.

- - - Updated - - -

Planning on using a Stenner Pump for chlorination and the BBB method. (Pool will also include an in-line chlorinator but it won't be used much) Need to learn a lot about the Stenner pump between now and the time the equipment starts going in. I am buying it apart from the pool contractor but he will install for me.

Attachments

• Breaking Ground.jpg
    Breaking Ground.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 636
  • Limestone Excavation.jpg
    Limestone Excavation.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 637
  • Removing The Rock.jpg
    Removing The Rock.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 633
skeptik;1359222 Planning on using a Stenner Pump for chlorination and the BBB method. (Pool will also include an in-line chlorinator but it won't be used much) Need to learn a lot about the Stenner pump between now and the time the equipment starts going in. I am buying it apart from the pool contractor but he will install for me.[/QUOTE said:
That sounds like a great plan to me...

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Great selection methodology! Just one FYI about the BBB. The BBB is a private organization that makes money from your pool builder. Their loyalty lies with the builder. You can have every single job the builder ever did complain about them to the BBB and they could still get an "A+" rating as long as they "answer" the complaint. The BBB is a good source only to read the actual complaints against the builder but their "rating" is a joke. And as a consumer protection agency they are virtually useless due to their inherent conflict of interest. Also if you are a business that does not pay to be a "member" of the BBB they will frequently give you a bad rating (protection racket).

In this time, few things are what they seem to be. We were not totally naive about using the Better Business Bureau but there were many contractors who had an A or B rating and complaints were listed. So while we knew that the Better Business Bureau was not an end-all, we at least knew we were dealing with contractors who responded to complaints or who had no complaints. That is why we also used Yelp and searched the internet for other complaints. We also checked references. Also we do have a local neighborhood on-line forum in which area neighborhoods join to share info. Strangely, I asked for recommendation on that forum and received lots of "beware of pool builders" messages but nobody would specify who had burned them or how. That surprised me. I guess people who get burned are often times too afraid to speak up. Now that is really really sad. I have every intention of documenting any problems that I have as we move forward and sharing that with anyone. So far, no problems and the work has continued every day except for Sunday.

Hi! Thanks for letting us come along for the adventure!

LOL the CAT pic! Was it harder to get the kitty cat to stay up there or to come down after the photo shoot? I have one (black of course) named Trance that is all into anything anyone is doing!

Your design pics are not showing :( I would love to see them.

Would you like to list your equipment for us to look at?

Kim:kim:

That black cat (aptly named "Magic") is all over everything. Today she was down in the deep end of the hole. She has been up on the backhoe numerous times and is not intimidated by the sound of the rock drill. Anyway, I will try to see if I can fix the design photos.

As for today, we are now at 10 days and the crew has worked every day except for Sunday. They finished the excavation of all rock and soil today. True to their pattern, everything that they took out of the hole is removed within hours. There have been no large piles of rock or dirt. The stakes for the forms were also installed today and the crushed aggregate was spread throughout the bottom of the pool.
Day 10 of pool build (1).jpg Day 10 Showing slope from 3.5 ft to deep end.jpg

Planned Equipment:

As far as planned equipment goes, we are planning to use a Pentair Intelliflow variable speed pump. A Stenner metering pump for chlorine injection, an old style sand filter (we had thought about DE and our builder recommended it, but we have heard that DE is not too environmentally friendly and can be a hassle - so we opted out of DE). If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, we can still change it. Your feedback is most welcome.

We are not planning on heating the pool.

Why did we not opt for a saltwater system? Two reasons 1) Very high calcium levels in the local water supply which we understand can create problems with the salt generation cells and 2) cost. We hope that using the Stenner pump will provide low gradual doses of chlorine that will allow us some of the same advantages of a salt system. If anyone else has a Stenner pump and wishes to comment - please do so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
s,

IntelliFlo pumps are great, just make sure that you do not get the SVRS model as it can give off false entrapment alarms... I know, because I let my pool builder talk me into it.. Sigh!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

Magic! LOVE IT!

I hope you have read some other build threads so you know what a great PB you have. We had one where they did not pass an inspection because of how the dirt was piled from the trenches and other things the PB did or did not do :(

I LOVE my sand filter. It is SO easy to take care of. I do add DE to it every once in a while to give the water an extra polish.

I like your idea for the chlorine. That should make life even easier.

Listen to Jim about the pump. Post the one (kind and model number) so we can make sure it is a good one.

Will need to check on the model. If there is a preferred model number please let me know. I had no idea that there were differences.

sk,

As long as it does not have the +SVRS in the name you should be ok... P/N 011057 and 011017 both have the SVRS option.

The best bet is to just Google the model number of what you are going to get and make sure it does not have +SVRS in the pump name.

Thanks,

Jim R.

HUGE step forward! When the steel is done you need to measure again. Add about 6" for the gunite and plaster. Please note that some of them do not frame out the steps and such with the steel. So long as they are in the plans AND your gunite guys do them. The gunite shoot is a VERY important time for you to be there just in case. We had one build where they were turning a beach entry into a step in shelf :shock: The PO was there and noticed it right away. They were able to fix it right then and there without tearing anything out.

LOL jets! :hug:

Rebar Nearing Completion:

After 15 days the rebar is nearing completion and the process has proceeded without a hitch so far. Take a look at the rebar that has been placed so far and feel free to comment if you see anything that I should pay particular attention to. I can look all day, but having the members of this forum look at it is like placing a huge magnifying glass on the project and you may spot things I would never see.

Pool rebar nearing completion day 15.jpg Rebar Deep End Pool Wall Day 15.jpg Rebar Shallow End Ledge Day 15.jpg Rebar Shallow End Left Side.jpg

Where is the spot for the skimmer? Lights? Returns?

I know they are not done yet but make sure they use "chairs" to hold the steel off the floor and way from the walls. Those corners from the wall to the floor look a little tight. That will make it hard for the gunite to get in there.

Thanks Kimkats!

We did get the chairs going in today as well as the pipes for 3 bubblers. We only decided on light placement today so that should become visible soon.

PB also marked the place for returns and piping for the water feature at the deep end today.

Pictures included of where the 2 skimmers will go are included below.

Rebar is on 8 inch centers.

Bond beam around perimeter is over half way completed.

No work will be done on Thanksgiving but we think all rebar will be finished on Friday with Shotcrete expected for next Wednesday.

Chairs now going in lifting up the rebar High Chair Blocks Installed 1122.jpg
Pipe for three bubblers in ledge installed Pipe for 3 Bubblers 112217.jpg

Placement for skimmer # 1 on southwest side of shallow end of pool Placement for Skimmer 1.jpg

Placement for skimmer # 2 on northeast side of deep end of pool Placement for Skimmer 2.jpg

Process is still smooth and no issues have arisen. We hope this is the way it keeps going throughout the build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.