Starting to Convert

Jul 15, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Hello all,
I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and learning about the BBB method and converting to Chlorine from Baq. Well, I started today, had the TF 100 test kit for a week and decided to start since this week and weekend it calls for cloudy to rainy weather and figured it was the best time since we couldnt swim anyways.

4:00pm
I started this evening with 3 gallons of Bleach 6% and was ready for the color display but all that came was a cloudy pool. I waited 15 mins and checked the FC (1st time to ever try to use the kit) and I couldnt get a reading so I used the OTO and it said there was about 1 TC?!?

5:00pm
I added 3 more gallons and then started to see the green murky water YAY!!!!
Tested again and got what I believe was a FC of 3 and CC of 8

7:00pm
I added 4 more gallons of bleach and waited about 15 mins and tested again all levels and got
FC 4
CC 8
pH 7.8
T/A 130
CH 140
CYA 0
So I added 2 gallons of bleach

9:30pm
FC at 1 so I added the last 3 gallons of bleach from the original 15 gallons I bought today.
Just tested and (20 mins after)
FC 1
CC 4

Question 1
Am I testing right? I am filling the chlorine only up to 10ml using the small scooper on the stick nothing more, swirling for about 25 seconds and its a very light pink so I start adding drops. to clear.

Question 2
Is it normal to add in 3 gallons and 30 minutes later have a FC of 1?

I do have alot of white floaties and a green pool that I cant see the bottom in :D

Sounds like you are testing okay. Just make sure you are not leveling off the scooper. It should be a rounded or heaping scooper full.

I'm no expert on Baqua conversions but from what I understand the Baqua does consume a lot of chlorine, but it should slow down soon. Also, what brand of chlorine are you using? If it some dollar store brand or no name brand you may not be getting 6%. If the strength is not indicated on the label, somewhere, it is probably not 6%. Sleek trick some of them use, don't you think?

I am using the Walmart great brand bleach that most people I have seen on here suggest using but you know how things can vary from store to store so possibly. I am heading to the store to get another 15 gallons and put another 3 gallons in before I head to sleeep.
How long should I wait before testing after adding in the bleach?

Sonic, I have never converted a pool so afraid I'm not going to be much help. You might want to read the conversion thread by pitguy3. He was testing and topping up his chlorine almost hourly and he had a relatively fast and smooth conversion.

Good luck!

Oops - also meant to say Hi and Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Use the pool calculator to figure how much bleach to add to the pool and add it all at once. The baquacil is eating your bleach right now as fast as you can add it.

If the calculator calls for 6 jugs then add 6 jugs at the same time. As FPM says keeping your FC at a target goal of 15 is the key to a faster conversion but you need to get it there quickly and keep it up there as much as possible.

Also ..
:nopic:

If its possible post some pictures of your conversion. We love to see pictures !!

Good Luck !! You wont be disappointed !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I am buying the 182oz jugs so I am using just over 2 bottles of bleach each time to get to 3 gallons per the pool calc.

Pics are coming, I didnt get any last night but below are what I have so far.

9:00am
Added 3 more gallons of bleach and ran a test and showed
FC 8
CC 2.5

I added another gallon of bleach and had
FC 15 finally :)

I am heading home for lunch at noon and to get it back to 15 and will report back when I get back.

beforeoverall1.jpg

beforeoverall2.jpg

This is the pool before with Baquacil

stepsbefore.jpg

This is the steps before with Baquacil

after3gallons.jpg

stepsafter3gallons.jpg

This is after 3 gallons of bleach

after9gallons.jpg

stepsafter9gallons.jpg

This is after 9 gallons of bleach

after15gallons.jpg

after15gallons1.jpg

stepsafter15gallons.jpg

This is the morning after 15 gallons of bleach

Just updating todays progress...

I didnt get a chance to get home for lunch so I got home at 5:30 and the water looks like it did after I put the first 3 gallons of bleach in yesterday so that was surprising to me this early.
I had 1 FC left so I put in another 3 gallons and FC was back at 15.

6:45 pm
FC 8
CC 2
added 2 gallons of bleach back to 15

7:45 pm
FC 9
CC 1.5
Bumped it back to 15

9:30 pm
FC 10
CC 1.5
bumped back to 10

11:00 pm
FC 13
CC just over 1

I am going to test again in about 20 minutes before I head to bed to bump it back to 15 and see if the CC is at 1 :)

Pics to come tomorrow, my cam is not reading from my cable so I have to use the card reader at work tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.