Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting to Convert

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting to Convert

Hello all,
    I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and learning about the BBB method and converting to Chlorine from Baq. Well, I started today, had the TF 100 test kit for a week and decided to start since this week and weekend it calls for cloudy to rainy weather and figured it was the best time since we couldnt swim anyways.

4:00pm
    I started this evening with 3 gallons of Bleach 6% and was ready for the color display but all that came was a cloudy pool. I waited 15 mins and checked the FC (1st time to ever try to use the kit) and I couldnt get a reading so I used the OTO and it said there was about 1 TC?!?

5:00pm
    I added 3 more gallons and then started to see the green murky water YAY!!!!
    Tested again and got what I believe was a FC of 3 and CC of 8

7:00pm
    I added 4 more gallons of bleach and waited about 15 mins and tested again all levels and got
    FC 4
    CC 8
    pH 7.8
    T/A 130
    CH 140
    CYA 0
    So I added 2 gallons of bleach

9:30pm
    FC at 1 so I added the last 3 gallons of bleach from the original 15 gallons I bought today.
    Just tested and (20 mins after)
    FC 1
    CC 4

Question 1
    Am I testing right? I am filling the chlorine only up to 10ml using the small scooper on the stick nothing more, swirling for about 25 seconds and its a very light pink so I start adding drops. to clear.

Question 2
    Is it normal to add in 3 gallons and 30 minutes later have a FC of 1?

I do have alot of white floaties and a green pool that I cant see the bottom in
    24' AG Vinyl liner
    13,500 gallons with a Proclean 125 Cartridge Filter and a waterway 2 speed pump
    Pool installed July 13th 2009 with Baquacil, Converted to Chlorine July 28th 2009

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting to Convert

Sounds like you are testing okay. Just make sure you are not leveling off the scooper. It should be a rounded or heaping scooper full.

I'm no expert on Baqua conversions but from what I understand the Baqua does consume a lot of chlorine, but it should slow down soon. Also, what brand of chlorine are you using? If it some dollar store brand or no name brand you may not be getting 6%. If the strength is not indicated on the label, somewhere, it is probably not 6%. Sleek trick some of them use, don't you think?
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am using the Walmart great brand bleach that most people I have seen on here suggest using but you know how things can vary from store to store so possibly. I am heading to the store to get another 15 gallons and put another 3 gallons in before I head to sleeep.
    How long should I wait before testing after adding in the bleach?
    24' AG Vinyl liner
    Pool installed July 13th 2009 with Baquacil, Converted to Chlorine July 28th 2009

4. Back To Top    #4

Sonic, I have never converted a pool so afraid I'm not going to be much help. You might want to read the conversion thread by pitguy3. He was testing and topping up his chlorine almost hourly and he had a relatively fast and smooth conversion.

Good luck!

Oops - also meant to say Hi and Welcome to TFP!
    22,000gal IG, Lazy L, vinyl pool - 1.0 HP Pentair Whisterflo - DE filter - Blue Pearl Robotic cleaner - Glowbuoy - BBB only!

5. Back To Top    #5

You can test for FC 30 minutes after adding bleach. Hourly testing and additions are most effective and speed up the process.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Use the pool calculator to figure how much bleach to add to the pool and add it all at once. The baquacil is eating your bleach right now as fast as you can add it.

If the calculator calls for 6 jugs then add 6 jugs at the same time. As FPM says keeping your FC at a target goal of 15 is the key to a faster conversion but you need to get it there quickly and keep it up there as much as possible.

Also ..

If its possible post some pictures of your conversion. We love to see pictures !!

Good Luck !! You wont be disappointed !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

7. Back To Top    #7

You are doing fine! Everything you describe is normal. Keep working at it and in a couple of days you will be done.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a reminder: Bleach is no longer sold in "GALLONS". (Or perhaps very rarely) (a gallon is 128 oz)

The common sizes are:
    • Small Jug - 96 oz
      Large Jug - 174 oz

Make sure you are using the right size jug!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

9. Back To Top    #9

They also have large jugs that are 182 oz
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Also remember the Pool Calculatir as mentioned above! That little thing is a GODSEND!!!

Welcome to the forum!!
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    10600 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah I am buying the 182oz jugs so I am using just over 2 bottles of bleach each time to get to 3 gallons per the pool calc.

Pics are coming, I didnt get any last night but below are what I have so far.

9:00am
    Added 3 more gallons of bleach and ran a test and showed
    FC 8
    CC 2.5

I added another gallon of bleach and had
    FC 15 finally

I am heading home for lunch at noon and to get it back to 15 and will report back when I get back.
    24' AG Vinyl liner

12. Back To Top    #12

This is the pool before with Baquacil

This is the steps before with Baquacil

This is after 3 gallons of bleach

This is after 9 gallons of bleach

This is the morning after 15 gallons of bleach
    24' AG Vinyl liner

13. Back To Top    #13

Looking good!

Speaking from experience, the longer you can keep it at 15, the shorter time it's gonna take overall to convert... I was lucky and did mine while on vacation...
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    10600 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

14. Back To Top    #14

Just updating todays progress...

I didnt get a chance to get home for lunch so I got home at 5:30 and the water looks like it did after I put the first 3 gallons of bleach in yesterday so that was surprising to me this early.
    I had 1 FC left so I put in another 3 gallons and FC was back at 15.

6:45 pm
    FC 8
    CC 2
    added 2 gallons of bleach back to 15

7:45 pm
    FC 9
    CC 1.5
    Bumped it back to 15

9:30 pm
    FC 10
    CC 1.5
    bumped back to 10

11:00 pm
    FC 13
    CC just over 1

I am going to test again in about 20 minutes before I head to bed to bump it back to 15 and see if the CC is at 1

Pics to come tomorrow, my cam is not reading from my cable so I have to use the card reader at work tomorrow.
    24' AG Vinyl liner

15. Back To Top    #15

This is from the scond day at night with CC of 1.5

This is Day 3 in the morning with CC of 1
    24' AG Vinyl liner

16. Back To Top    #16

Looking Good! Keep the FC to 15 and you'll be done before you know it.
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok Got home after work and eating and found 0FC so its back up to 15 for now,
    I will do a full set of tests tonight and update again but CC is now just over .5

7:00pm Day 3 just over .5 cc
    24' AG Vinyl liner