Bringing back the pool to life

Nov 8, 2017
New Jersey
Hi,

I am new to the forum and to the pool maintenance as well. honestly i have zero experience with the maintenance and upkeep of the pool but i am learning through reading on web. Coming to the point I have pool which has not been taken care of for almost an year. It is in ground pool probably 16X36. It is filled with algae and debris. I was told by pool inspection company that the pool pump is shot and also the booster pump is shot. my concern is how should i approach this, shall i get all the work done now in November or shall I leave it for the next spring.
I am attaching a picture for better details.

View attachment 70558

With winter showing up very soon I would put it off until the spring. Start working on it as soon as the ice goes away.

Is the liner sagging on the left side of the pool? It also looks like it is floating in a couple spots. You may need to drain the pool and reset the liner.

Start reading through pool school at the top of the page, good place to start is ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Lots of great people here to help get your pool back up and running.

No more insects once it freezes. You can toss some bleach at it to start killing things but once the water gets below 60° there isn't much breeding going on in there.

It can be difficult to install a liner in cold weather too. I'd make sure the lines are empty, plug them up and wait for spring.

Since you will be looking at equipment you might want to consider a variable speed pump, much cheaper to run than a single speed, quieter too.

Is the variable speed same as dual speed. I was looking at the hayward 1.5 hp dual speed pump.
Everywhere I read it is difficult to install the liner in winter and that's the only reason I would delay fixing this.
Any recommended good source for buying a basic pool cover? I was looking at Doheny cover with 12 water bags

No, dual speed is a two speed pump whereas a VSP is anything goes within its capacity!

If you are going to wait til spring to work on the pool, I would suggest you still fill it to help it maintain the walls better. The pressure of the water against the walls is an important element in a vinyl pool.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ordered the chlorine, baking soda, borax, baking soda, muriatic acid.
Planning to order TF100, skimmer with an extension pole for now.
Am I missing anything to get started or any suggestions to get started?

You don't know if you need the baking soda or borax, so don't buy them ahead of time. Just chlorine, muriatic acid and a test kit are all you need to start out with.

If you're redoing the mechanical stuff, a salt cell/automation setup is awesome, and takes a ton of work out of the whole pool thing. Plus I think the water feels nicer in a salt pool, but that's my two cents. It does make you spend the money upfront rather than on chlorine as you go, but pretty much breaks even in the end. Comes out ahead if the salt cell holds out for longer than 4 years or so between units.

Also a plug for a pool robot. Maybe I was just too dumb for a manual vacuum, but my robot is my favorite piece of pool gear after the salt cell. About 5 minutes of work, once a week, and the pool is always spotless and clean. I struggled with the vacuum and hated it, and never felt like it did a good job even after fighting it for 45 min at a time. I just toss Nemo (what we named our Nautilus robot) in, and then go get him in 2-3 hours and hose off the filters. easy peasy

New liner looks awesome, the darker blue makes it look much more modern!

don't forget CYA
Thanks, will get that as well

- - - Updated - - -

You don't know if you need the baking soda or borax, so don't buy them ahead of time. Just chlorine, muriatic acid and a test kit are all you need to start out with.

Thanks, Though I assume it will not be bad to keep them in supplies but I will return if not required or its too big of packing :)

If you're redoing the mechanical stuff, a salt cell/automation setup is awesome, and takes a ton of work out of the whole pool thing. Plus I think the water feels nicer in a salt pool, but that's my two cents. It does make you spend the money upfront rather than on chlorine as you go, but pretty much breaks even in the end. Comes out ahead if the salt cell holds out for longer than 4 years or so between units.

Also a plug for a pool robot. Maybe I was just too dumb for a manual vacuum, but my robot is my favorite piece of pool gear after the salt cell. About 5 minutes of work, once a week, and the pool is always spotless and clean. I struggled with the vacuum and hated it, and never felt like it did a good job even after fighting it for 45 min at a time. I just toss Nemo (what we named our Nautilus robot) in, and then go get him in 2-3 hours and hose off the filters. easy peasy

New liner looks awesome, the darker blue makes it look much more modern!
I will see what can be done for the Salt cell, appreciate the pointer.
What do you mean by plug for pool robot, is that the point of connection in plumbing for robot pump.
There is already a second pump in place, which I was about to get rid off as I don't have the robo cleaner and I don't even know if the pump works, but as the pool is coming along, i think cleaning is big of a task and robo cleaner seems worth it, rather than the headache of find good pool guys or even DIY. I am almost at a limit of taking any more DIY projects :p

If you are looking for chlorine automation, you could consider a Stenner pump also. Personally, I like it better because when I back washed my previous saltwater pool sand filter, I always killed my grass due to the salt. Both the Stenner pump or SWCG are great additions.

ok, so a problem popped up.
Sand filter leaked from the pipe going back into the filter.
Also, I do not have the wrench for the filter head.

Pool guy, recommended getting a new one. So the question what should i do and if I get a new filter, what size/brand filter should i go for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.