Northern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My gunnite\plaster pool has been installed for 3 years. This year I added a solar setup to extend the season. Every time the pump fires, I get air out of the returns for a good 60sec, while the filter is pressurizing.

When the pump is off, there are no bubbles in the pump housing (strainer basket). The solar is off right now, so air I would expect from drain down shouldn't be the culprit.

I have a 3 way valve from the filter that goes back to the pool and out to the solar, and a check valve on the return. The Check valve and 3Way valve share a T to the return back to the pool.

I don't remember this happening before I added the plumbing for the solar, is this normal, or do I have a leak somewhere?

Thanks for all of the info on this site. Waaay better than my local pool store!

I get air though my returns when I turn my system on as well, I believe it is your solar system. Assuming your solar system isn't homemade there is a air relief valve that lets air in when the system is off. I wouldn't worry about it unless you never stop shooting air out the returns no matter how long it runs.

Yes, you have a leak. As you and Kevin suspect, it's likely on the pressure side above the filter so you don't see the air collecting in the pump strainer basket but it is likely collecting in the top of the filter.

Again, if it stops in 60 seconds, it is hardly worth chasing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.