Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine loss

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine loss

is a chlorine loss of 4 ppm over 24 hours normal. my pool is uncovered in atlanta area with lite usage. cya level is 40. i have to add 96 oz. of 6% bleach every night to boost level up to 7 ppm.
    24 ft. 52 in. deep above ground
    hayward sand filter
    new pool owner/new bbb believer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine loss

I am also in the Atlanta are (West side) and I average somewhere between 3 and 4 since my install (7/6/09). I am getting sun from around 0830-1800 daily. I am no expert, but there are plenty on this forum that can answer the question I am sure.

3. Back To Top    #3

2ppm is the going rate. that's a bit high if you mean from 8am-8am. how about sunlight? pools in sun all day in hot climates can benefit from a bit more cya. what are your other numbers? increased chlorine demand is a first sign of algae, but this loss could be normal for you. how does the water look?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's hard to say if it's normal. Have you done an overnight chlorine drop test? If you haven't then I'd suggest you do one. Once you do that and ensure you don't have organics helping you out with it, then you might consider bumping your CYA up to 50 and see if that helps. I know it did mine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

pool has been up 2 months. water looks great. i think if i cover pool as much as possible and increase cya a bit maybe that will help decrease the loss. ph stays around 7.6 ta is steady at 100.
    hayward sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

i will do chlorine drop test tonite and post results tomorrow. thanks for quick response.
    hayward sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

chlorine loss test last nite was less than 1 ppm. what would be a good cya number for me?
    hayward sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

If you're at 40 now, try bringing it up to 50. I read posts from people in the South who run at 60, occasionally higher, so you have some "head room" to play with here.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page