Killing pressure-side return from pump

Jun 24, 2009
Just a quick question for all you experts. I have a pressure-side Jandy Ray-Vac that has died. I'm looking at pressure-side cleaners to replace it with, and I'm leaning towards one of the plug-in robot-type (specifically Nitro NC51). My the line coming out of my pump T's off with a Jandy valve. Half goes to the pressure-side cleaner and half goes to the main cartridge filter. Right now I have the cleaner side completely shut off because the cleaner isn't attached. From a long term standpoint, is this ok? It raised the PSI about 5 through the cartridge filter, and I'm assuming I'll have to remove the mini-cartridge on the cleaner side (right after it T's off), otherwise I think the standing water will get algae. Anything else I should consider moving from a pressure-side cleaner to a robot cleaner?

Thanks!

If the line is filtered I'd consider leaving it cracked open and putting an eyeball in the wall instead of the cleaner adapter. It will increase your water flow a bit by lessening your pressure side head and will create more movement in the pool. It will also stop anything from building up in the pipe should you want to use it again later for something else.

spishex said:
If the line is filtered I'd consider leaving it cracked open and putting an eyeball in the wall instead of the cleaner adapter. It will increase your water flow a bit by lessening your pressure side head and will create more movement in the pool. It will also stop anything from building up in the pipe should you want to use it again later for something else.

That's a good idea. How difficult is it to put an eyeball in the wall? Right now it has 1 1/4" threaded attachment specific for the cleaner. Without the cleaner, if I open it up the pressure is sky high (but does circulate water well!). Is there a problem leaving a valve open just a little bit?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure you can tell I'm new to all this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.