Added CYA and....

Jul 9, 2009
Tampa, FL
Added my CYA via the sock method two weeks ago. Tested my level this morning and the black dot is still easily visible at 30.
According to the Pool Calculator, adding 4lbs. 9oz. (which I did) should have gotten me to a level of 40. I'm thinking it's somewhere around 20.
There have been a few rain showers that may have added an inch or so to the pool.
I have not cleaned my filter or anything either.
I guess I should add more?

The first thing I would do is check the bottle of stabilizer and make sure it's close to 100% Cyanuric acid. If it's lower than that, then that and the rain might explain why the concentration is lower than expected.

sounds like it. did you check the concentration of cya? also, make sure you're shaking (turning back and forth) the mixture for 30 seconds before pouring it into the view tube.
as you know we've had tons of rain this year in this area, and my cya hasn't budged. however I did recently make the mistake of not mixing the container for 30 seconds before pouring it into the tube, and it showed my cya as 50. I was so excited until I did it again the correct way and it was still 70.

All I can tell you is that I no longer buy my CYA from Leslie's due to the exact same problem.

The last 2 years I have bought it at our local family owned pool store and haven't had any more issues with it not showing up on the test. Might be worth buying it somewhere else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had similar issue 2 months ago. CYA was at 50 .... wanted to raise it to 70 ..... pool calculator estimated 2 lbs to do the job. waited 1 week ... tested ..... didn't budge. waited another week ..... tested ...... didn't budge. added another 2 lbs (from same CYA container as before) ..... waited 1 week .... BAM! ..... 70!

can't explain it other than to say the calculator is a "starting point" ...... everyone's pool is different .... use TFP.com and all the good advice here and eventually you will know the ins-and-outs of your pool like the back of your hand!

Just a quick update:
I added 3lbs. of Aqua Chem Stabilizer from Wal-Mart 2 days ago. It dissolved a lot faster than the Leslie's brand out of the sock.
After just 2 days, the pool store (not Leslie's) is telling me that I'm at about 45ppm CYA. I also confirmed this with my test.
I'm convinced that Leslie's stabilizer is junk, or at least the tub that I picked up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.