Sectioning an AGP Solar Cover

May 16, 2016
RDU, NC
As I get close to closing up the pool, I am planning ahead for next season. I have a 30 ft diameter round solar cover on my AGP that I only bought and used late during this first season of operation. I am considering using it more next year as it saved a tremendous amount of evaporation. Of course it is a hassle since it takes 2 people minimum (one of the people is always a kid) to roll it up. I would like to consider cutting the cover in half (two semi-circles) for easier handling. I searched the forum archives and found a few positive and negatives experiences of people who have actually done this. One of my concerns, is whether it will continue to lay correctly, without bunching up in the wind or overlapping itself.

Any real-life experience to share?

Wind is not much of a concern surface tension will usually keep things in place in extreme windy areas a small amount of weight can be added to the corners of the bisected cover, surface tension will control overlap as well. Have you seen Mas895's DIY cover roller? Link HERE. I did it and it works very well. I have a free form pool and at most the middle corners will flap back on themselves a foot or two and self correct usually within a few minutes. I could add weights but figure I am not getting that much loss as it does not happen often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.