New Pool Build - NW Arkansas

After years of tiny, "disposable" pools and absurdly short swim seasons in Wisconsin, my family has relocated to NW Arkansas and we're not wasting any time settling in. We've been in our new home for just over a month, and the pool construction started 2 weeks ago. I'm attaching a few photos of the progress.

The pool is a 17'x38' gunite diving pool with a water slide. It starts at 3'6" deep and goes to 8'.

I was originally planning to use the Hotspot FPH heater, but have decided against in favor of a heater that will allow us to extend our swim season. We'll use the pool nearly every day so I'm thinking that a heat pump will be my best option. Now to decide if I want to swallow the $4600(+ wiring and paying an electrician) price tag or if I want to buy one and DIY it... I am pretty handy when it comes to electrical work, but wouldn't want to void the heater warranty by not using a dealer. I guess I'm open to opinions on this.
1%20-%20Layout.jpg

2%20-%20excavation.jpg

3%20-%20rebar.jpg

4%20-%20floor.jpg

5%20-%20gunite.jpg

6%20-%20baking%20a%20cake.jpg

7%20-%20gunite%20trimmed.jpg

8%20-%20another%20angle.jpg

9%20-%20another%20angle.jpg

latest%20-%20prepping%20for%20tile%20and%20deck.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Most of us shy away from clicking on links to see pictures. If you are willing to become a supporter of the TFPC site - CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter! you can post your images directly here.
Or find a photo sharing site that you can copy the IMG link and insert in your post.

If you would like comments/guidance on equipment (pump, filter, chlorinating method, etc) let us know what your plans are.

I personally would never DIY the install of a an electronic item that costs that much and uses that high of volts/amps. But that is up to you.

Take care

Thanks, mk! I figured out how to show the pics so there is no longer a link.

I was sold the Frog Mineral system, but after further research, I'm going to nix that and use the BBB method.

We're running a 1.5 HP pump with a TA-100 sand filter.

There is a side port for a Rebel cleaner as well.

I'm new to real pools so I still haven't committed all of the specs to memory :)

Great on the pictures, thank you.

Good decision on the Frog.

One speed pump? Really suggest at least a two speed. One speed is an electricity hog. Will save you lots of money going with a two speed or Variable Speed.

Most here are going to robots to clean. Suction or pressure side cleaners are going the way of rotary phones.

Consider how you are going to chlorinate - Salt Water Chlorine Generator is easiest but you are purchasing your Chlorine up front. Otherwise you will use liquid chlorine and add it DAILY or install a Stenner pump system for a few days between filling the chlorine tank.

Take care.

Great on the pictures, thank you.

Good decision on the Frog.

One speed pump? Really suggest at least a two speed. One speed is an electricity hog. Will save you lots of money going with a two speed or Variable Speed.

Most here are going to robots to clean. Suction or pressure side cleaners are going the way of rotary phones.

Consider how you are going to chlorinate - Salt Water Chlorine Generator is easiest but you are purchasing your Chlorine up front. Otherwise you will use liquid chlorine and add it DAILY or install a Stenner pump system for a few days between filling the chlorine tank.

Take care.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into upgrading to a variable speed pump.

As for the chlorine, I'll have to look into a few options now that I'm not doing the Frog. Saltwater is out, though.

Good to hear. Just remember all pools have +1000 ppm of salt in them after being chlorinated for a year or so.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where is the best place to buy the TF100 test kit? Also, if anyone reads this far, I'm looking for help picking out a heat pump.

TFTestkits.net for the TF100. Get the SpeedStir too. Makes the test process very easy.

I will PM someone to respond on the heat pump.

Take care.

Looking great.

Don’t stop until full! Someone recently was not told not to stop and they had a noticeable ring where they stopped it.

There is no way that I'm stopping this fill! We've got darn near zero water pressure inside of the house, and can barely fill a glass of water to drink, but nevertheless, both hose bibs are wide open.

Here's the latest:
22%20-%20filling.jpg

I'm thinking that this is gonna be one of those 48 hour fills....

I would suggest getting 3 ppm of chlorine in the water now. You can brush it in if no pump.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.