New Pool Build - NW Arkansas

I would suggest getting 3 ppm of chlorine in the water now. You can brush it in if no pump.

Take care.

What's the common practice on that? I was under the impression that I shouldn't add any chlorine until the plaster has been submerged for a week.

- - - Updated - - -

That is looking great! That is a lot of decking around the pool.

I said the same thing when I realized how much extra we added... The slide and diving board add to it as well.

Your city water has chlorine in it. As your water is cold you probably have little risk of algae.

Up to you.

Hi egrofalnoraa,

Your pool looks amazing, thanks for sharing the photo's! For your sized pool I would suggest a Hayward 140,000 BTU Heat Pump. A heat pump will take longer to heat your pool than a gas heater but the operational cost will be way less! With a heat pump you will be able to extend your swim season by roughly 1 month at the begining of the season and 1 month at the end of the season, and you will also be able to take the chill off of the pool during colder days during the swim season. I really like the Hayward as it has a great COP rating meaning it costs less to operate, it uses a scroll comressor meaning that the heat pump will be quiet and it has a titanium heat exchanger meaning that the most expensive component is very heavy duty.

Hi egrofalnoraa,

Your pool looks amazing, thanks for sharing the photo's! For your sized pool I would suggest a Hayward 140,000 BTU Heat Pump. A heat pump will take longer to heat your pool than a gas heater but the operational cost will be way less! With a heat pump you will be able to extend your swim season by roughly 1 month at the begining of the season and 1 month at the end of the season, and you will also be able to take the chill off of the pool during colder days during the swim season. I really like the Hayward as it has a great COP rating meaning it costs less to operate, it uses a scroll comressor meaning that the heat pump will be quiet and it has a titanium heat exchanger meaning that the most expensive component is very heavy duty.

Patrick, thanks for the advice. That's the exact heat pump I've been eyeing! I'll order from you guys and install it in March/April. It seems foolish to me to buy and install it now, leaving it unused and exposed to the elements for the winter. Unless you have a super sale on it and it's worth me keeping it in the garage for the winter :)

I've been slacking on the updates, but the pump/filter have been running 24/7 at roughly 45GPM since the morning of Nov 28. The slide was defective so we're waiting for a new one, but everything else is finished. We went in last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the 54 degree water :)

I had an issue with my TF100 and needed to wait for a replacement,but I was finally able to test everything except for CYA with it today. I added 4lbs of CYA this afternoon which should bring me to about 20 PPM CYA according to the package. Should I get it up higher? I know it should be higher, but I'm not sure if it needs to be if I end up closing it for the winter.

I'm not sure if I'll be closing it or keeping it running this winter. I guess I could use some advice on that. I want to be sure that the plaster is fully cured and all that jazz.

My levels as of today

CH 20-25 Drops-The YouTube video says x10, the laminated paper in the kit says x25
TA 40
FC 3
CC 0
Ph 7.2 - We're doing a low PH start, and this is the high end of where my PB told me to keep it. I'll either add Muriatic acid or, if I add 4 more pounds of CYA, that might be enough for now.

Please feel free to offer any advice with my chemicals.

Anywho, here are the last few pics for now.

steps.jpg

diving.jpg

equip.jpg

Thanks for all of the advice! I'll revisit this post when the slide is installed.

The pool looks great we are currently waiting for permit to clear. I'm in Little Rock and am curious who is doing your pool? So jealous looks great....

Thanks for the compliments. We're really excited to use it and happy with how it's turning out. I won't be as happy in spring when I'm fixing the yard and planting stuff around it. Lol

Good luck on the build! My one regret is that I have the stairs inside of the pool, rather than having a bump-out for them.

I also upgraded the light myself with a remote controlled LED from Amazon. PB wanted $700 for their LED. I paid $140 for something that's much better in my opinion. I'll post pics or a video tomorrow.

I used Seaside Pools to build it. They're the biggest PB in the area and everyone we've talked to that used someone else had issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the compliments. We're really excited to use it and happy with how it's turning out. I won't be as happy in spring when I'm fixing the yard and planting stuff around it. Lol

Good luck on the build! My one regret is that I have the stairs inside of the pool, rather than having a bump-out for them.

I also upgraded the light myself with a remote controlled LED from Amazon. PB wanted $700 for their LED. I paid $140 for something that's much better in my opinion. I'll post pics or a video tomorrow.

I used Seaside Pools to build it. They're the biggest PB in the area and everyone we've talked to that used someone else had issues.

How long did it take start to finish?
What color plaster is that?
Great results. Can wait to see the vid.

I had trouble getting PB's to show up at all. I eventually found one we felt good about. The design was more than we wanted to spend but he won us over on overall design and features. We are also doing LED and built in stairs.

I can't wait to build a bahamian roadside style bar and landscape. Doing evergreen around the perimeter with various sub trobical plants in front of those. The best part will be cold hardy bananas around most of the pool area mixed with a few cold hardy palms.

How long did it take start to finish?
What color plaster is that?
Great results. Can wait to see the vid.

I had trouble getting PB's to show up at all. I eventually found one we felt good about. The design was more than we wanted to spend but he won us over on overall design and features. We are also doing LED and built in stairs.

I can't wait to build a bahamian roadside style bar and landscape. Doing evergreen around the perimeter with various sub trobical plants in front of those. The best part will be cold hardy bananas around most of the pool area mixed with a few cold hardy palms.

Ian, at our first meeting with the PB, they informed us that build time is weather dependent, but stated that typical build time is about 6-8 weeks. We had one week where it rained quite a bit, but other than the slide, we were right at 6 weeks.

We went with their basic, white marble plaster. They wanted $1500+ for any type of color upgrade which really bummed me out. But, we are very happy with it after seeing the finished product, and I've been told that the white plaster shows the colored LED much better. The LED doesn't allow for any type of pool controller integration, but that's not what I was looking for. The 35W LED I bought replaces the 500W Halogen provided by the PB and has a remote with awesome range. The signal from the remote works from my front yard-through my house and underwater.

I'm not sure what we're doing as far as a bar, but we're also going to do the banana trees and palms along with giant ferns, hibiscus, etc. I'm looking forward to the result, but not to doing the work :)

If red is your thing, I'd definitely recommend multiple lights
red.jpg

green.jpg

white.jpg

I forgot to do a video last night, but I'll remember tonight.

Thanks for looking

That is exactly what our PB said at least they are consistent. I'm going to reach out to him after the holidays to see where we are on the schedule. The weather has been great lately. Thought we would hit 70 today lol...

We went with the french grey plaster as I thought it looked nice. The LED lights are so cooool! Glad we opted for them as well. Thanks for posting pics and vid.

Any plans on a polar plunge party?

Beautiful pool! Congrats! If you are looking for a heater to extend your season, only gas will suffice. Heat pumps will save you money and maintain temps during the season, but they are near useless off-season. At best you can hope for 1-2 degrees per day rise whereas gas will get you 1-2 degrees per hour (this is in season, off season they will produce almost no heat at all). I love our gas heater you can leave the pool off all week and turn it on Friday for a Saturday swim and get 20 degree rise no problems.

Beautiful pool! Congrats! If you are looking for a heater to extend your season, only gas will suffice. Heat pumps will save you money and maintain temps during the season, but they are near useless off-season. At best you can hope for 1-2 degrees per day rise whereas gas will get you 1-2 degrees per hour (this is in season, off season they will produce almost no heat at all). I love our gas heater you can leave the pool off all week and turn it on Friday for a Saturday swim and get 20 degree rise no problems.

I was going to do a 140k heat/chiller pump with a solar cover. Pool size about 15000 gal. I was planing on running for two months on either side of the season and handy if we needed a chiller in the summer. Research showed this would be adequate. I appreciate the immediacy of gas and lower initial cost but how much does that cost to run a month?

Sorry op not trying to hijack a thread.

I was going to do a 140k heat/chiller pump with a solar cover. Pool size about 15000 gal. I was planing on running for two months on either side of the season and handy if we needed a chiller in the summer. Research showed this would be adequate. I appreciate the immediacy of gas and lower initial cost but how much does that cost to run a month?

Sorry op not trying to hijack a thread.

It does cost more - $3-$5/hour to run. I don't think your plan to run it in the shoulder months is going to do what you want though. Heat pumps are almost useless when the weather is not "proper" which includes temperature and humidity. If you want heat, get heat. Gas is the solution. But you could start heating in March/April (like my neighbor) and by May you might be able to swim. Definitely helps to use the solar cover with a heat pump as you will lose more at night than the unit can produce during the day. They cost more intially as well as you have seen. My neighbor has replaced his HP already at a little over 5 years.

It does cost more - $3-$5/hour to run. I don't think your plan to run it in the shoulder months is going to do what you want though. Heat pumps are almost useless when the weather is not "proper" which includes temperature and humidity. If you want heat, get heat. Gas is the solution. But you could start heating in March/April (like my neighbor) and by May you might be able to swim. Definitely helps to use the solar cover with a heat pump as you will lose more at night than the unit can produce during the day. They cost more intially as well as you have seen. My neighbor has replaced his HP already at a little over 5 years.

Looks like I'll dive into research again. I'll start a seperate thread after more research. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.