Pool Renovation w/Name brand surface--how is this done?

Lana537

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Hello all~~

I live in the Triangle area of North Carolina: Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. If I decide I can afford to have my ancient cement in-ground pool resurfaced, and I decide I want a name-brand surface, such as Wet-Edge or PebbleTec or Brand #3 or #4 (that I don't yet know about), who actually does this work?

For example, I called Wet Edge Technologies in Arizona. They referred me to their closest provider, Olympic Pool Plastering, who are located in Atlanta, Georgia. So how would this work? (I am asking you all because I want this info before I call anyone.) Is the man/company in Georgia going to send a crew up to Chapel Hill, or is he going to subcontract this work to Company X in Charlotte or Raleigh? If this is going to get subcontracted on down the line, this makes me uneasy.

Since we bought this old house last year, we have been in contact with a couple of local pool stores, (but not builders) and have spoken with them about resurfacing, but no one jumped up to say--oh yes, we do PebbleTec or we do Wet Edge, or we work with So and So who does, and we sensed that their subcontractors just did plain old plaster repair. One guy actually came to the house and was proud to say that he did the (really crooked, ugly) coping work on our pool many years back. :shock:

Can anyone comment/advise?

Thank you very much~

Lana

Lana,

Nobody in our immediate vicinity does their own re-plastering (which is probably why your pool ended up painted). They're all subcontracted out of other places, usually around Charlotte, which makes pricing around here a little on the high side. For a pool your size I'd expect to see estimates starting well over $10k since they'll have to sand blast the paint off and will probably want to add a second main drain. I'm sure with a pool that age there'll be plenty of other line items they'll want to add.

If you want any recommendations, good or bad, let me know and I'll PM a few to you.

Tim

spishex said:
Lana,

Nobody in our immediate vicinity does their own re-plastering (which is probably why your pool ended up painted). They're all subcontracted out of other places, usually around Charlotte, which makes pricing around here a little on the high side. For a pool your size I'd expect to see estimates starting well over $10k since they'll have to sand blast the paint off and will probably want to add a second main drain. I'm sure with a pool that age there'll be plenty of other line items they'll want to add.

If you want any recommendations, good or bad, let me know and I'll PM a few to you.

Tim

Tim and anyone else who sees this,

Yes, please PM anything you'd be willing to type up for recommendations. I'd appreciate your opinions.

There are things I don't understand, and I want to know these things early on. Do I start with the pebble company and have them work as the contractor to have the sandblasting, repairs, deep end "drain" brought up to code, install new waterline tile, coping, other changes? Or do I need to find a general contractor, and he will bring in everyone, including the name brand pebble company. I would like a "players list", and I would like to know if there are several ways to do this. Also, should I be using a pool builder for this renovation?

My goal is to learn roughly what all of this will cost; I'd rather scrape around and find the necessary 10s of thousands now, and be broke and enjoying my gorgeous pool for the next decade, rather than painting the thing in 2010 and then saving for a nice pool renovation in 9 years, when I'll have to sell the house and move into an old folks home :O !!

BTW, I can't imagine putting in 2 deep end drains. The bottom floor of the pool is only about 6 feet by 6 feet; all the walls go down vertically for a few feet and then slant down to the bottom floor, where there is the one drain on center.

Thank you for your help and your time~

Lana
I don't know quite how PM-ing works, so you go ahead~

Pebble Technology, Inc. for North Carolina

Hello all~

As I am posting on this forum, my husband has also been a busy bee, and seems to have zoomed past me, as often happens.

He has been in touch with Olympic Pool Plastering of Atlanta Georgia, who is the regional rep for Pebble Technology, Inc. They have told him that the two area firms (in Charlotte, NC) authorized to install their product are Aquatic Artists and Liquid Designs. I haven't yet heard of Liquid Designs, but Aquatic Artists was featured recently in current July/August issue of Chapel Hill magazine, which did a feature story on 4 newbuilds in the area.

....will stop by again as the research continues.

Thanks to everyone~

Lana

Did you look on the National Plaster Councils website? They list all the companies that are actual installers of plaster products. I found a local company that is an applicator right in your home town. I don't know what products they use. If they are council members they are more than likely good people. Getting an applicator that does his own preps is the best situation. Good Luck

http://www.npconline.org/mc/directory/v ... chId=40075

Frank, Thanks for mentioning and posting the link to the NPC. I never knew about it and am hoping to renovate my pool in the not too distant future. We get so many unscrupulous fly by night companies and pool "experts" out here that I get stressed thinking about having to even deal with it.

Buggsw said:
Frank, Thanks for mentioning and posting the link to the NPC. I never knew about it and am hoping to renovate my pool in the not too distant future. We get so many unscrupulous fly by night companies and pool "experts" out here that I get stressed thinking about having to even deal with it.
Yes, many thanks! That site is very helpful!

Frank R said:
Did you look on the National Plaster Councils website? They list all the companies that are actual installers of plaster products. I found a local company that is an applicator right in your home town. I don't know what products they use. If they are council members they are more than likely good people. Getting an applicator that does his own preps is the best situation. Good Luck

http://www.npconline.org/mc/directory/v ... chId=40075

Frank,

That's a good resource, thanks. But I don't see anybody in Chapel Hill. Just Charlotte and Pineville. Did you get a result that I'm not seeing?

Tim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.