First SLAM

The Sydney Water chart shows the drinking water health limit of 2 ppm Cu, and the aesthetic limit at 1 ppm Cu. The results from their testing of the Orchard Hills water supply almost always (10th to 90th percentile) ranges from <0.005 ppm Cu (their testing detection limit) up to 0.028 ppm Cu. So in other words, very little Cu in your fill water. Good news! :) and same for iron.

So, your results look great. I'd say you're just dealing with "legacy ignorance issues" as Jezza suggests.

Try an HEDP-based sequestrant, observe, then consider the gentle acid wash if that in itself does not lift the stains, which it may.

HEDP stands for either High Explosive Dual Purpose (not recommended for pools), or...

Hydroxyethylidine diphosphonic acid, which is the active ingredient in the Zodiac product you posted, and the IQ Metal Magnet. The Zodiac product is more concentrated. I've looked but have not found the Jack's products down here.

Good luck with it mate

Hi all

Below are my results + 3 different shops (all using same testing method, some spinning device)

Data
Home test (CCL)
Shop 1
Shop 2
Shop 3
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Phos

>1900
Iron

Copper

Got myself a bottle of HEDP (Zodiac as mentioned in posts #78 & 79)
Shop 1 lady told me: you don't need that, your metals are low.
I had to beg her to let me buy it!

Anyway, bottle says pH should be above 7.5 to use so I'll wait a couple of days for pH to climb up a bit before pouring it in and see what happens.
Any special recommendations before I use it?

Cheers

I know!!!

Considering they’re in the business of making money, I found it weird.

Its like the person at the counter of your supermarket questioning why you are buying pasta.

Anyway, all good. At least she didn’t try to make me buy 60kg of salt like the other shop

DataHome test (CCL)Shop 1Shop 2Shop 3
FC8.56.66.96.82
pH7.27.57.67.7

Hiya, I have the same CCL test kit. your FC and PH test there would make me worry a little - seeing as the 3 stores had relatively close results on each, and your CCL test was a decent amount out one way. Do you think its plausible the FC level could drop like that due to being in a small test container and (i'm assuming :) driven around for a while?

(I'm in the final stages of a hopefully successful first ever SLAM at the moment - so following along intently)

Pete

The FC drop very well could be from the driving around and the heat.

Ph is one of the tests that depends on good eyes ,test conditions, and taking your time.

TFP almost always trusts pool testing with their own test kit over a pool store.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was a very hot day yesterday

48oC (118oF) when I left home, + roughly 30-40 min drive from home to the 3 different shops (chronologically went to Shop 3 first and finished by #1)
That could account for the difference in FC and pH

Anyway, Highly Explosive Compound is in :stirpot: (730ml according to manufacturers' recommended dosage of 200ml /10k l)
Pool has been brushed thoroughly
Filter is running

3 questions:
Is the pool safe to swim?
When should I expect to see positive results?
How do I get rid of sequestrated metals (skimmer, pressure side cleaner, suction cleaner)?

Thanks

The only way to get rid of sequestered metals in water is to dispose of the water. So you either change out your water or continue to add sequesterant.

Take care.

haha, highly explosive :)

It's safe to swim with sequestrant in the water; no worries mate. I don't how long or if you will see a difference in existing stains. Swampwoman and JamesW are better sources for that likelihood.

Hi Yann. You're safe to swim, and as Marty suggested, can't remove sequestered metal. But since your rate is low, over time it should dilute if there's no incoming metal. You may need low, periodic maintenance doses, but you can let your eyes be the guide.

If the product was inclined to lift the stain, you should have noticed the staining lightening by now I'd think, since I am a day late to the thread. Eg. In the past when I used sequestrant if I had mild staining on fiberglass steps, it would lift immediately. But yours being in paster and possibly with scale (because the dry acid made a difference) may not respond.

If it doesn't lift, you've now at least a) stopped it from getting darker and b) now can try to release the stain without worrying that it will redeposit, because as the metals are released, the sequestrant will pick them back up and bond with them.

You're now in a position to try the underwater acid wash wand if you so desire.

Btw, were the stains there since you first took over the pool, or did the stains emerge subsequent to slamming?

Hi all

It's been just over 48h since the addition of HEDP.
Regular brushing
Pump running for 24h

Can't really say the stains have gone.
At best they fainted a bit.

I took over the pool in May this year (early winter here) and the pool was great. I adopted TFP method fairly early and didn't get pool $hopped too much.

There was no stains until about 6 weeks ago. I noticed the greenish stains. Ran OCLT and lost 1.5ppm and CC was 0.5 so I thought it would be a good thing to SLAM, which was the recommendation I got from the forums.
First SLAM was over after 5-6 days and stains were still there, maybe a bit more pronounced.

Following advice, I used a puck directly on the stains, which lifted almost immediately. The recommendation was then to re-do the SLAM.
Again SLAM was completed after 5 or 6 days and stains were actually getting worse.

This is where I am now.
Crystal clear and sanitised pool with those ugly stains.

Results from poollogger.com (tonight)

FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 7.3
TA: 100
CH: 350
CYA: 80
Temp: 28 (82F)
Salt: 4200
CSI: -0.39

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.