What if my CYA is low?

If your CYA is low, you will have to be much more vigilant in keeping chlorine in the water. The sunlight during the day can consume a normal chlorine level in just a few hours with no CYA to protect it.

That depends on how low. It gets rather difficult to keep chlorine in the pool when CYA is below 30. The lower CYA goes the worse that gets. At low CYA levels you are wasting chlorine and risking getting algae, so it is much better to not let the CYA level get too low.

Pucks are trichlor.

Dichlor is granular chlorine that contains CYA and it dissolves very fast, for every 10ppm of FC it raises your CYA by 9ppm.

YOu can buy CYA/Stabilizer separately and add enough to raise your level into range.

tedinelkgrove said:
OK, I bought a 1lb bag of Leslie's Chlor Brite. How much CYA will be added w/ one bag? How much Chlorine? Taking into account my pool volume.

Chlor Brite is Dichlor, which contains CYA. You can use Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my sig) to calculate what effects it will have added to your pool.
See the "Effects of Adding Chems..." near the bottom of the calculator.

Cool. I never noticed that there. Great feature. Thanks. That will raise my CYA by 4 and FC by 4.8. That along with the floating trichlor puck should bring CYA to 30+ shortly. MY FC held steady over night (0.5ppm loss) but drops like a rock during the day. I guess that happens when your CYA is 20ppm.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but at least I stayed on topic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.