Hi everyone and help please! Pool in Las Vegas. Where do I start with these results?

Ok I have some updated measurements and questions :

pH : 7.2 (added acid to lower TA yesterday)
TA : 120ppm
CH : 225-250ppm
CYA : <30 (probably around 20 or 25, 10g is still dissolving in a sock in the skimmer which should take it to 30).
FC : 4.25ppm

1. By using the spa return jets to make lots of small bubbles, how long does it take to raise the pH back to 7.5 (recommended level) this way?

2. Now that TA is 120ppm, is that an acceptable level? Or should I try and drive it down to 70-90 once the pH goes back up again? Pool school says to not aim for a target TA number unless you have issues? Why would they say this if they recommend 70-90+? Does TA normally fluctuate much?

3. Once CYA is 30ppm, will I ever need to test it again? Since it doesn't evaporate out of the pool and I'm not adding any pucks with CYA in it, is it safe to assume that the pool will be 30ppm CYA until I eventually do a drain and refill for CH one day?

Thank you guys for getting my pool on track!

1. It will take a number of hours with your size pool. You do have the suction for your pump pulling from your pool but your return set to the spa, right? Need to do that so you are circulating the entire pool.

2. You can leave your TA were it is. Just be sure to check your pH at least twice a week in the winter, and starting in March, every day. You will find with your fill water adds your pH will rise quickly. That is when you may want to force down your TA to 80 or so.

3. CYA degrades some. I find in the summer I can lose 10-15 ppm per month. So, I suggest testing CYA monthly. After a year or so you will find what testing schedule your pool needs.

Take care.

Yes I put the return to the spa and the suction from the pool. Thank you for the tip.

How long should I use the pump for the pool? It's a VS pump but I've seen some people running them for as little as a few hours a day.

Is there a guide on this somewhere?

A couple of random questions :

1. If you ever needed to shock the pool, wouldn't CC go above 0.5? So you should never really need to shock unless that happens?

2. Does it matter if there is some calcium scaling on the bottom of the pool (which was there before the refill)? It's hard to see since my plaster is white but I think there is some in some lower flow rate areas.

1. You never 'shock' your pool if using TFPC. If you have organics in your pool that are out of control you SLAM Process.

2. If there is scale at the bottom of the pool, maintain your CSI in the -0.3 to -0.6 range for awhile and it should dissolve into your water.

CSI is Calcium Saturation Index - see Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Take care.

My pool has only ever seen salt, liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and powder CYA. Nothing else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.