New Build in Central CA

We are not 100% positive we like the slope into the deep end after walking in it last night. Not sure what our options might be now since we don’t want to go any deeper than 3.5 in the shallow end.
c0125bd4a0d01c694cad9f1b73ee0fe0.jpg

Is the 3.5' in the shallow end water depth or pool depth? I do not think you want it shallower than 3.5' WATER depth.

Take care.

Is the 3.5' in the shallow end water depth or pool depth? I do not think you want it shallower than 3.5' WATER depth.

Take care.

It is 3.5’ in shallow end and 7’ in deep end. We don’t want shallower than 3.5’ but I don’t think I want to go to 4’ either. It just seems like there isn’t as much shallow end as we had hoped prior to hitting the slope. Someone please tell me the slope gets a little less steep once they do the plumbing and gunite.

Be sure you define that the WATER depth is 3.5'. Pool depth is typically 6-8" more than water depth.

Take care.

Be sure you define that the WATER depth is 3.5'. Pool depth is typically 6-8" more than water depth.

Take care.

I think I get what you were asking now and it helps me understand what I’m looking at and trying to envision. The planned POOL depth is 3.6’ and 7.0’ (per the pool plans). This must mean that the water depth will be more along the lines of 3.2’-3.3’ and 6.7’ (if I’m thinking correctly). If this is correct it makes me feel a lot better.

The pool slope doesn't change from excavation to gunite.

I think you will find your true water depth in the shallow end to be a bit under 3'. Pretty shallow ----

Good luck.

Why do you say that? I just confirmed with my PB that it will. There will be about 9” in shallow end and 16”-18” in deep end (includes plumbing and drain). This means the depth will decrease in the deep end more than it will decrease in the shallow end which will lessen the slope. Right?

My experience viewing hundreds of builds here is that, at the dig stage, the slope is the same as the finished stage because the plumbing is dug into the ground or is just under the elevated rebar, resulting in dirt to gunite surface distance being the same in the shallow and deep ends.

I would go by what your PB is telling you as you should have no reason not to believe him. It just doesn't agree with what I've seen.

One way to check him though is to measure from dirt to the top of the guide board around the edge of the pool in the shallow end and deep end. If the difference between the two measurements is 3 1/2', something's not kosher with his explanation or math.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My experience viewing hundreds of builds here is that, at the dig stage, the slope is the same as the finished stage because the plumbing is dug into the ground or is just under the elevated rebar, resulting in dirt to gunite surface distance being the same in the shallow and deep ends.

I would go by what your PB is telling you as you should have no reason not to believe him. It just doesn't agree with what I've seen.

One way to check him though is to measure from dirt to the top of the guide board around the edge of the pool in the shallow end and deep end. If the difference between the two measurements is 3 1/2', something's not kosher with his explanation or math.

I appreciate the explanation and the warning. When I measured last night, it was about 9’ from dirt to top of guide board in the deep end and a little under 5’ from dirt to top of guide board in the shallow end. The difference is just over 4’ which made me think the slope would lessen a little. I guess I will just go with it at this point since there isn’t much wiggle room to change anything even if I wanted to.

Agreed that does indicate a reduction in slope if the finished depths are as advertised.

Best of luck with the project and ask away!

We were really worried about our slope after gunite, we were ready to pay to have the gunite crew come back out and change our depths! But we eventually decided to stick with it and we laugh about it now. The slope didn’t change at all, but with water we don’t notice the slope. It felt like quite the incline without water though.

A small tip is to put a tape measure up to your side and other in your family so you can see where 3.5 ft is. After doing that we decided in 4ft-7ft pool with similar dimensions and we are very happy with the pool and slope. It definitely is a personal preference but if your worried about to deep for the kids remember they grow by the day.
Also your depth is deeper now than the pool will actually be because they can add 9-12 inches for gunite and another inch or more for plaster and the water only goes up 6 inches below the top of the dirt
Good luck and I know you will love it either way

A small tip is to put a tape measure up to your side and other in your family so you can see where 3.5 ft is. After doing that we decided in 4ft-7ft pool with similar dimensions and we are very happy with the pool and slope. It definitely is a personal preference but if your worried about to deep for the kids remember they grow by the day.
Also your depth is deeper now than the pool will actually be because they can add 9-12 inches for gunite and another inch or more for plaster and the water only goes up 6 inches below the top of the dirt
Good luck and I know you will love it either way

That is a great tip. We walked around the entire pool measuring and trying to take into account the gunite and plaster. The 3.5 is more of a preference for my wife and I because we tend to be more “waders” than “swimmers”. We loved how large our shallow end was in our last pool and that was even before we had our daughter. I’m only 5’9” so I can see if I were over 6’ I might want to go to 4’ deep in the shallow end.
I think my PB hates dealing with us already. It seems like I am double checking something with him almost daily to make sure the pool will be exactly how we envisioned.

Poor, poor builders when they have a pool owner that found TFP. SO much better educated so don't "rubber stamp" everything when the PB says "this is how we do it".

Your pool will YOUR pool and much better for the input you give. It is your money so it should be your way!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.