Sand Filters. Is Larger better?

FlyboyTR

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2009
Mobile, AL
I want to revisit something that was touched on in another thread. Getting ready to start the plumbing for the pool (16x32 AGP). I have the option of using one of two different sand filters. The pool has a Pentair Dynamo pump model 340210. The data plate does not list HP, but shows a PH – 1 (I’m not sure if this is the HP or not). In searching Google I found the model number matching a 1.5 HP pump. It is a 110 volt, 12 amp pump. The GPH, etc is NOT listed and I was unable to find this data anywhere.

The filter is a Pentair Sand Dollar SD60, 200 pound unit.

I also have a pump and filter from a 20x40 pool and have decided not to use the pump…it is huge and is 18 amps. The filter is a Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo. 300 pound, 50 PSI and 65 GPH according to the data plate.

Is the Pentair Dynamo pump strong enough to support the larger filter? If so, I would like to use it. I would think that a larger filter is better…but only if the pump is adequate. Will I benefit from the larger filter? I need the voices of experience to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

The Pentair Dynamo model 340210 is a 1.5 HP pump, which should move somewhere around 50-70 GPM in a typical above ground install. The larger sand filter should be a reasonable match for that pump, though you could easily go larger still.

I went with the larger (300 lb) Sta-Rite Crystal Flow filter. When I purchased the sand at my neighborhood pool place…I was asking him about “how” to install the sand. He pulled out a gadget that fits over the center tube and also aligns it with the opening. It covers the end of the center tube so sand does not get inside and also acts like a funnel. It really took the work out of keeping everything lined up. Thanks for the guidance regarding my filter questions!

DBfan187 said:
Also make sure you fill the tank up with water halfway before you pour in the sand. Then backwash it as soon as it's up and running to rinse off the dust.

Well...I did not put water in the filter/tank prior to pouring in the sand. The sand was poured in rather slow...so I feel certain the laterals were not damaged. Is there another reason for adding water first? Thanks for the backwashing tidbit as soon as everything is up and running. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.