Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filters. Is Larger better?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filters. Is Larger better?

I want to revisit something that was touched on in another thread. Getting ready to start the plumbing for the pool (16x32 AGP). I have the option of using one of two different sand filters. The pool has a Pentair Dynamo pump model 340210. The data plate does not list HP, but shows a PH – 1 (I’m not sure if this is the HP or not). In searching Google I found the model number matching a 1.5 HP pump. It is a 110 volt, 12 amp pump. The GPH, etc is NOT listed and I was unable to find this data anywhere.

The filter is a Pentair Sand Dollar SD60, 200 pound unit.

I also have a pump and filter from a 20x40 pool and have decided not to use the pump…it is huge and is 18 amps. The filter is a Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo. 300 pound, 50 PSI and 65 GPH according to the data plate.

Is the Pentair Dynamo pump strong enough to support the larger filter? If so, I would like to use it. I would think that a larger filter is better…but only if the pump is adequate. Will I benefit from the larger filter? I need the voices of experience to point me in the right direction. Thanks!
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filters. Is Larger better?

I'd use the larger filter. The more filtration area the better. I don't think you really have to worry about the filter being to big unless the filter and pump are grossly oversized/undersized, which yours won't be.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

3. Back To Top    #3

The Pentair Dynamo model 340210 is a 1.5 HP pump, which should move somewhere around 50-70 GPM in a typical above ground install. The larger sand filter should be a reasonable match for that pump, though you could easily go larger still.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Launboy and Jason!
    I guess it will be the large filter! Should I use #20 silcia sand in the Sta-Rite filter?
    Thanks again for the input!

Travis
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Generally, filters can only be too small, never too big and bigger is virtually always better.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, use #20 Silica sand, a.k.a. Pool Filter Sand(if you buy it at the pool store). Do not use playground sand!

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

7. Back To Top    #7

Is this the same sand that is used in sand blasting? Thanks!
    Travis & Kathy

8. Back To Top    #8

I went with the larger (300 lb) Sta-Rite Crystal Flow filter. When I purchased the sand at my neighborhood pool place…I was asking him about “how” to install the sand. He pulled out a gadget that fits over the center tube and also aligns it with the opening. It covers the end of the center tube so sand does not get inside and also acts like a funnel. It really took the work out of keeping everything lined up. Thanks for the guidance regarding my filter questions!
    Travis & Kathy

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyTR
    Is this the same sand that is used in sand blasting? Thanks!
    Yes.

Also make sure you fill the tank up with water halfway before you pour in the sand. Then backwash it as soon as it's up and running to rinse off the dust.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Also make sure you fill the tank up with water halfway before you pour in the sand. Then backwash it as soon as it's up and running to rinse off the dust.
    Well...I did not put water in the filter/tank prior to pouring in the sand. The sand was poured in rather slow...so I feel certain the laterals were not damaged. Is there another reason for adding water first? Thanks for the backwashing tidbit as soon as everything is up and running.
    Travis & Kathy