Solar Powered Pump for Algae Plagued Wedding Cake Steps?

FlyboyTR

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2009
Mobile, AL
I have been reading about the many algae problems with wedding cake steps. I can only assume the algae problem is either caused by stagnate water under the stairs, or the chlorine never makes it behind the stairs (again we're back to the stagnate water issue). While I may change my mind at some point...I really want to use these steps rather than a ladder type arrangement. I have had some rambling thoughts and would like some input regarding this issue. :?:

I was thinking about installing a 1000-1500 GPH bilge pump (about 4 amps), 12 volt powered by a deep cycle marine battery. It would be suspended about midway under the stairs, closer to the steps with a discharge hose points in the direction of the usual pool flow. A small solar panel would be used to keep the battery charged and a timer to allow it to run a couple of hours each night. I would think that since the water is being exchanged (2000 to 3000 gallons in a two hour cycle), it would greatly reduce the potential for the water to sit stagnate under the steps. If this works it would be virtually maintenance free and no additional electrical costs.

Travis

Travis,

I was just saying in another thread that it will be a rich person that invents this! I try to keep my chemistry in check, but still have problems with the stinking steps!

After you get done designing such a neat pump, get started on designing some new cake steps with an expanded "beach" for little ones that like to STAY on the steps. I'll order one of both, thanks! :lol:

4A at 12.65V is a hair over 50W. Running the pump for two hours will require charging from the panels to be about 50W for 4 hours or 25W for 8 hours due to inefficiency in the charging process. A small panel won't do it. You will be over $300 for the panels another $100 for a charge controller, $75 for a cheap battery plus the cost of the pump that won't last very long at that kind of duty cycle.

I have wedding cake steps and had always had problems w/ algae. esp. since I used to use Baquacil. I Took advice from some on TFP and drilled three 1 1/2 inch holes on the vertical surface of each step. I also drilled some new larger holes on the sides. The water flow has been greatly improved and I have had NO algae under the steps. Another side benefit has been that the steps do not want to "walk" the way they used to. They stay in place much better since the water flows through better. I used a keyhole saw to drill the holes. There has been no effect on structural integrity.

I'm at work so I can't post a pick, but if you do a search you'll find some other examples.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.