Push/pull valves and the four letter words they make me yell

Ataal

Jul 27, 2009
This is the third handle I've broken off trying to get it back into its locked position. Phoenix weather is pretty harsh on those O-rings, I understand, but this is ridiculous.

My newcomer question is....

Is it as simple as buying a multiport valve and installing it? Or, is there some plumbing work to be done beforehand? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but if I have to spend another dime on a push/pull valve just to have the O-rings dry up in this 115º heat and break the handle off again, I'll most likely lose what little sanity I have left.

Just in case you need any background info:

The pool is a Paddock Pool.
Sand filter.
Cleaning system. (pop-up jets)
17,000'ish gallons.
Pebble-tech

Thank you in advance,

Len

Len, welcome to TFP!!

I have nothing but 4 letter words to use when speaking of push/ pull multiport valves!

Even if you weren't already inclined to change to a 6 way rotational multi - I'd suggest it :wink:

There will be some plumbing involved but pvc is pretty easy to work with and we'll walk you through it - though pics would really help towards that end :) You may need to move things around on the filter pad so everything lines up nicely, but this shouldn't be a huge project if you're even slightly mechanically inclined and can follow directions :cool:

Whenever you're ready to do this, we'll be here to help and advise - we will need to know how much room we're dealing with and the system set up so we can tell you what materials you'll want to have on hand and what to do :-D

Awesome, I'd really appreciate the help!

Here are a couple pics:

0727091652.jpg

0727091652a.jpg

The wall that separates the pool from the equipment is kind of weird, it's at about a 30º angle. Along the back wall, it's about 8 feet across and approximately 4 to 5 feet across at the opening.

I have all the brochures and blueprints in a binder if you need anything specific.

I'm an IT contractor by trade, but I like to think I'm also mechanically inclined. I've installed timers, sprinkler systems, and can even do my own brakes on my car. So, I hope that's enough to get this job done! :p

My local pool store suggested getting the Sta-rite multi-port 2" valve. Part number: 18201-0200. Anyone use this particular one? Would like some feedback on it before I make the plunge. Thank you in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.