What kind of bug is it? How to get rid of them?

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
within 2weeks of opening the new pool I had anywhere from 5-10 of these critters in my pool. At first I figured it was just normal. After dichloring my pool and getting my cya up, they disappeared and only had maybe 2-3 a week. Now it is back up to at least 5 every day. if they touch you in the pool or you scoop them up to throw them out, they sting you! not like a wasp or bee sting, but about a 2-3second attention getter!

They swim very quickly if you are attempting to get them with the net. I have seen them on the water surface, but they are usually about 24in below the surface most of the time.

This guy has been in 3% hydrogen Peroxide in attempt to kill him to get better picks.

He has been the solution for 16mins now and is still casually swimming.

If you take them out of liquid, the flip flop like fish out of water.

Attachments

• Camera 116.jpg
    Camera 116.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 614
  • Camera 115.jpg
    Camera 115.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 613
We have them a few at a time too. We've called them boatman all my life. I've never had one bite me. The ones we call Meadow bugs do bite but it's more a pinch than a bite. Netting is the only way I've gotten rid of them. Good thing they only show up a few at a time.

I've read some other forums and one name that keeps popping up is BioGuard Back Up Algicide. I've never used it, but I guess it alters the tension of the water so they can't come up for air and drown. I used some HTH Algicide and it seemed to do the same. If I remember reading correctly the algicide attaches to the algae so that it can be filtered out, so maybe it's attaching to these critters. I've just moved into a house with a pool about 2 months ago, so I'm by far not an expert.

Another product that I've read about but haven't used is GLB Bug Out. Which from it's description sounds like an algicide also.

There are also posts about using a 1/4 cup of Dawn in the pool.

I'd be interested if anybody on here has used either one with success as well.

reebok said:
I'd be careful about adding algaecides. make sure you know the ingredients and what they may do to the pool. black algaecide particularly often contains copper. you want bugs in your pool more than copper.

Back Up is an algae preventer, not a killer. It contains no copper.

Reebok's point is a good one, nonetheless. Anyone who stays on this forum any length of time understands that a tenent of BBB is not putting anything in your pool you don't need.

Putting algaecide in a pool to get rid of a few boatmen would fall in that category for me.

Dumping chemistry in a pool when you don't know the outcome is not a good practice. Dipping them out with a net where you can predict the outcome (Skrunch!! :lol: ) is a better course. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seeing these critters again brings back awful childhood memories of their sting. As I remember, we had to scoop them out and squish them right away :hammer: because they would otherwise fly away to return another day. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.