Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of bug is it? How to get rid of them?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of bug is it? How to get rid of them?

within 2weeks of opening the new pool I had anywhere from 5-10 of these critters in my pool. At first I figured it was just normal. After dichloring my pool and getting my cya up, they disappeared and only had maybe 2-3 a week. Now it is back up to at least 5 every day. if they touch you in the pool or you scoop them up to throw them out, they sting you! not like a wasp or bee sting, but about a 2-3second attention getter!

They swim very quickly if you are attempting to get them with the net. I have seen them on the water surface, but they are usually about 24in below the surface most of the time.

This guy has been in 3% hydrogen Peroxide in attempt to kill him to get better picks.

He has been the solution for 16mins now and is still casually swimming.

If you take them out of liquid, the flip flop like fish out of water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of bug is it? How to get rid of them?

Water Boatman. Netting them is about the only option. The little boogers are a pain.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had them also. From what I've read boatmen don't bite, but the backswimmers do, which is what that looks like to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notonectidae

The above is the wikipedia link talking about them.
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Some people swear by Borates. I just squish them so they don't come back.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

We have them a few at a time too. We've called them boatman all my life. I've never had one bite me. The ones we call Meadow bugs do bite but it's more a pinch than a bite. Netting is the only way I've gotten rid of them. Good thing they only show up a few at a time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I've read some other forums and one name that keeps popping up is BioGuard Back Up Algicide. I've never used it, but I guess it alters the tension of the water so they can't come up for air and drown. I used some HTH Algicide and it seemed to do the same. If I remember reading correctly the algicide attaches to the algae so that it can be filtered out, so maybe it's attaching to these critters. I've just moved into a house with a pool about 2 months ago, so I'm by far not an expert.

Another product that I've read about but haven't used is GLB Bug Out. Which from it's description sounds like an algicide also.

There are also posts about using a 1/4 cup of Dawn in the pool.

I'd be interested if anybody on here has used either one with success as well.
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd be careful about adding algaecides. make sure you know the ingredients and what they may do to the pool. black algaecide particularly often contains copper. you want bugs in your pool more than copper.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have borates and have had only a few of these things. Scooped them out, squished it, end of story
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    I'd be careful about adding algaecides. make sure you know the ingredients and what they may do to the pool. black algaecide particularly often contains copper. you want bugs in your pool more than copper.
    Back Up is an algae preventer, not a killer. It contains no copper.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Reebok's point is a good one, nonetheless. Anyone who stays on this forum any length of time understands that a tenent of BBB is not putting anything in your pool you don't need.

Putting algaecide in a pool to get rid of a few boatmen would fall in that category for me.

Dumping chemistry in a pool when you don't know the outcome is not a good practice. Dipping them out with a net where you can predict the outcome (Skrunch!! ) is a better course.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Seeing these critters again brings back awful childhood memories of their sting. As I remember, we had to scoop them out and squish them right away because they would otherwise fly away to return another day.