Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chlorine neutralizer??

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Chlorine neutralizer??

The room was at 61 degrees before I turned the pool heater on. The difference between 61 and 68 is huge though. Humidity didn't really seem to change in the room.

I was shooting for water temp of 80 degrees so I'm right where I wanted to be, but I need to get the wife in there tonight or soon because she's the one who gets cold the easiest.
    Indoor concrete pool, 15x30, 18.5K gallons, Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump, Sta-Rite 150# sand filter, Hayward H200 heater.

2. Back To Top    #42

Well we all went in pool tonight, the wife said it was cold until she got in, then said it was fine. Humidity definitely went up during the half hour we were in which warmed air temp by 2 degrees. 42 degrees currently outside so I will have to see if outside temps affect the room much. We did notice for sure that leaving an inside door open created draft immediately coming back in through the exhaust vent for pool room. Makes sense because normally air pressure would be equalized therefore not drawing from outside until a door was opened but I will talk to HVAC guy about that also.
    Indoor concrete pool, 15x30, 18.5K gallons, Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump, Sta-Rite 150# sand filter, Hayward H200 heater.

3. Back To Top    #43

80, eh?! I'm personally good down to about 86. I prefer 89-90. Below 88, my guests complain or don't stay in for long. My exhaust vent has a damper, but I keep the vent going the entire time the cover is off anyway, so no doubt that drafts play a role.

Did you cross-check your thermometer with another? I'm surprised that your wife was ok with water that cool.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

4. Back To Top    #44

Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoastr View Post
    80, eh?! I'm personally good down to about 86. I prefer 89-90.
    I re-calculated the size of my pool and I think it's about 18,500 gallons so I don't think mine is way bigger than yours and we have the same BTU heater so I'm curious since we have the same sort of setup, how many hours a day do you need your heater running to maintain 90? I have a calibrated thermometer here at work I'm going to take home and cross-check with the one in the pool.

5. Back To Top    #45

I wish I could tell you, but I have too many moving targets. It depends on if I use it or leave it covered, ambient temps, how long the pool has been warm, RPM on my pump and the health of my heater.

A year ago I had a single-speed 1.5 hp 3450 RPM pump. The water would heat about 1 per hour. The heater and the pump shared a timer. I ran the pump twice per day for 2 hours plus during any swim time. The temp was maintained with routine, but I don't know how much of that time the heater was firing.

In February I installed a VS pump. I also learned with the help of TFP guidance that my pool needs much less circulation that I originally thought to stay clean. I slowed pump speeds and reduced runtime. The other issue is that the VS has it's own timer, so now my heater can kick on independently of the pump. The heater appears to be dying, but I don't want to kill it!

Even with COLD water at high speed, my heater t-stat cycles on and off. The colder the water the less time it's off, but I was disappointed this week to watch it cycle while ingesting water at 63. I seem to be getting around one half degree /hour now. Pump speed doesn't seem to play a large role in this situation, but I'm still experimenting with that and hope to replace the circa '92 heater with a slightly larger one this winter. (I'd like to go as large as my flu can accommodate)

I use an infrared gun to monitor temp. I have two, and they disagree by 2, so I go with the one that agrees with the rubber ducky floater. That's to say I could be 2 or more degrees off.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123