Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak Question

Hi There, I am new to the forum and of course have a question...

I bought my parents house a few years ago and they have a 24 round 48" high above ground pool that is 11 years old. I've been watching it really closely and was convinced that we must have a hole in the liner. I called a local pool place and the guy game out and did a good look around the perimeter of the pool and he said he's not convinced that there is a hole.

I marked the water line and watched it over 4 days, it was half way up the skimmer when it started, and the past 2 days it was down to the bottom line of screws. It doesn't seem to go down past that, which makes me think there is a leak in the skimmer or that area. I had my husband look under the skimmer and he said there is a piece of wood under the connection and it is wet but it looks like it's just barely dripping.

So my question is, could that drip lead to a loss of 1" of water in 2 days. If so, any suggestions of how we could fix it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak Question

the best way to tell if there's aleak is to do a bucket test.

Fill the pool to it's normal level. Take a 5 gallon bucket fill it about 2/3rd's full of water. Sit it on the top pool step and carefully mark the water level in the bucket then mark the water level of the pool water. Wait about 24 hours and see how much they've gone down. They should have both gone down the same amount. If the pool goes down more than the bucket you have a leak. Then the issue is finding it but sounds like you may have already.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Give the inside and outside of the skimmer a good look - you'll see cracks in the body of the skimmer and water dripping if it's failed. Also look along the line from the skimmer to the pump for drips and ALL around the pump itself as well as the filter. You should see no water around the equipment - if you do see some, tell us where and we'll be able to point you in the direction of the leak
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies! I had my husband check underneath the skimmer yesterday and he said he was able to give the hose 3 or 4 good turns. We topped up the pool and continued to check for leaks, it seems like that did the trick. We were down about 1/8" (maybe even less) this morning but it was really hot yesterday so that didn't seem excessive, probably just splashing around and evaporation.

5. Back To Top    #5

1/8" is the verge of evaporation, so I wouldn't be too worried

Enjoy the pool and just keep an eye on the water level

If you still think you may be loosing water, try the bucket test that Bama Rambler spoke of
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)