Pucks and weekly algaecide?

Chemnut

In The Industry
Apr 5, 2017
Maine
If you use trichlor pucks I highly recommend a weekly dosing of poly 40 or 60. If using cal hypo pucks you still have to ensure proper cya levels. That is another expense that's an issue with them.

Re: Pucks and weekly algaecide?

If you use trichlor pucks I highly recommend a weekly dosing of poly 40 or 60. If using cal hypo pucks you still have to ensure proper cya levels. That is another expense that's an issue with them.
The biggest problem with cal-hypo is managing scale potential. CYA only degrades a few ppm a month, resulting in a negligible cost. I think I added CYA once at opening, and once about mid season. If you follow TFP care, CYA is managed separately, making this a moot point.

Please explain why you feel that using an algaecide is required if using trichlor. If FC is properly maintained, and algaecide is not needed at all, regardless of chlorine delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it works.
Please elaborate .....

Please elaborate .....
Yes, please. Since maintaining a proper FC level for the CYA works on its own I am curious as to why you believe the addition of an algaecide is also required.

TFP is about adding what is needed to a pool based on accurate water chemistry data. Adding extra products based on one person saying "this will work" is more of a pool store type of thing...

If people are looking insistent on using pucks, we all know the resulting cya issue. Weekly algaecide can off set those problems and keep a pool clear. Simple really

If people are looking insistent on using pucks, we all know the resulting cya issue. Weekly algaecide can off set those problems and keep a pool clear. Simple really
Sure, that may keep algae at bay, what about bacteria & person to person disease?

What you describe is a Band-Aid approach. If the root cause of a sanitation issue is an incorrect FC to CYA ratio, correct the ratio by either lowering CYA to a manageable level, or re-establish your FC to CYA ratio.

I'm not knocking algaecide, if it's used properly. But recommending adding algaecide to correct high CYA levels is not following TFP principals.

One of the most respected chemists in the pool industry says this is a good habit for those insisting on pucks. The pucks ensure chlorine, but not enough during high temps or high bather loads to combat algae. As with all comments on here, it was a suggestion. I bow to your knowledge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.