Skimmer face plate rusty screws

Jun 2, 2009
Pool installed a month ago , installer stated skimmer faceplate came with screws too long . He went to Home depot and bought correct length screws. Well, maybe he should have bought stainless steel screws ??

The screws are rusting and its only been a month. He is supposed to come back in the fall when I lower the water level below the skimmer to replace a gasket that is causing a small leak.
Are these rusty screws ok to leave until that time and have him replace them then ?
I am going to call him tomorrow and let him know.

The rust will bleed into the face plate and if they are rusting in behind the plate - it will get onto the steel where it protrudes through the factory holes and can cause premature rust in them. I would be exchanging them for SS screws right away - you do not need to lower the level to replace them - just do it 1 at a time.
I also wouldn't wait on something that is such a tiny problem - just take a screw from the top with you to HD so you can size it up and buy them yourself.....

yeah, some water will get into the hole - but it is not like it is going anywhere. Your pool is not going to drain down. I take half of my skimmer screws out ever spring and fall when I winterize and open because I use a screw on skimmer plate. The only thing you have to make sure is not to drop them into the pool, because you really don't want to drag around with a leaf net to try and get a screw out, and that water can get mighty cold, but in you go to get the screw.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.