Painting the Aluminum Pool Coping. Pics Enclosed

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
OK, I read some of the topics about people painting their aluminum pool coping. I have been contemplating doing that and decided that today was the day. Went to Walmart and picked up a quart of Rustoleom white paint and went to work.

85 outside today and found out just how powerful the sun can be. Got heat strock and passed out! :rant: The really bad news was the wife was out of town and my daughter was with her and nobody else was around. Not a smart man am I!

Well good news I have a couple dogs and believe it they sure are mans best friend! They both came over and licked my face and it woke me up. Got up and went into the house and drank a load of gatorade to rehydrate me. Wow did I have a headacke and sunburn! Doh! :hammer:

Real good news is I got it done. Took a few hours as I had to put 2 coats on it, but boy does it look awesome. See attached pics below to see how it turned out. :party:

Thought I would share in case anyone else was wondering what paint to use. $9 bucks was the cost. :goodjob:

Vistal, the cracks are on top of the coping. I actually did caulk it all up and then I painted the patio with the nonskid valspar paint. The crack along the coping is from the paint. I have some other spots I have to caulk yet as well and maybe will work on finishing the other cracks as well to try and get a better seal on everything.

I should have taken a before pic as the cracks were really bad and the coping came loose from areas along the cement. I fixed that and what you see is what I have gotton done thus far. I plan to take some time off this weekend and will go ahead with finishing everything up. I still have one more coat of paint to apply to the coping as I now see this morning that I missed some spots and it would look better with another 3rd and final coat.

Gman, yea passing out was a bit scary! Never had that happen before to me. Thought about doling it in the pool but our pool is 8' deep and I didnt feel comfortable with a paint brush and trying to float to get that done. It didnt take long. I thought it would be a big to do and actually it was simple and cheap. Oh and wow, I still have a headache. Heat exaustion is not cool!

I will post a few more once I have completely finished the project. Thanks for all the postive comments.

Later! :goodjob:

Finished a couple weeks ago. Just got the pic updated. Here ya go.

Overall I really like the look of everything. Pool turned out great from painting the patio with nonskid valspar paint to the pool coping and then the total pad/equipment replacement including the guts of the filter. Its like a new pool!

This swim season has been great! A bit cool on the weather but we swam more than last year. We are now nearing the end of our swimming season and I would say about another week and we are done and then we close our pool toward the end of September. :cry:

Oh and thanks for everyones help this year and assistance! Really made a big difference and everyyear that I own this house, the more I learn and am able to do on my own! :goodjob:

Thanks Dave! I appreciate it. This year was the easiest year ever. From opening the pool it took only 4 gallons of bleach and 36 hours and the pool was crystal clear. Funny what brand new sand and the proper pool equipment can do!

Since that time, I have been managing my CYA at about 30-40. I have been using about 2 pounds of stabalizer all year and only liquid chlorine this year and not one once of algae. I have only backwashed once. I used 2 cups of MA and thats it as I then have been using trichlor pucks to add some stabalizer to the pool and it also helps reduce the slightly rising PH. All year I have added about 5 lbs of Soda Ash and only 3 pounds of baking soda. The most expensive item is Robarb metal master as we have high copper and iron in our water.

Cheapest year on record at under $400 for all chemicals. I suspect next year will be even cheaper as I have enough chems on hand to most likely last in 2010 except for Liquid Chlorine. I would use bleach, but find its as cheap from the PB so why not give them guys some business too.

Thanks again Dave! Hope you had a good swim year! Its amazing to see how large this website has grown. I use it as my #1 source of information now for any pool questions that I have.

Chad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.