Pump motor wont come on ...

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
My filter has been running perfectly until tonight. I unplugged it from the outlet and plugged it into a timer we have near the filter. Our electric bill is up a little and I have been having no trouble with my pool since I opened it so I wanted to reduce the run time of the filter to night time hours so I could add chemicals and circulate them for a few hours.

When I went out the motor wasn't running. There is no blow circuit breakers in the line, I checked that. I plugged a work light into the plug that the filter plugs into and it comes on so its not the plug. I did tug on the cord coming from the pump motor and it sparked.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what might be wrong with it ? I was running right up until I unplugged it and set it on the timer earlier today.

I am if its not to complicated able to fix it myself ...

I would take the cover off the motor (be sure to unplug it first) and check the connections. Maybe when you tugged on it you pulled out a ground or something from the connectors.

Thats where I would first start.

I just had a new SuperPump wired in and the electrician showed me a bunch of things. Mine has a cover on the back that comes off and I was having the same problem. Found out a wire was barely touching the connections. Reconnected it and it worked perfectly.

Good luck, I hope you find it.

Chad you were bang on your diagonsis !!

I removed the wire cover and one of the wires had corroded and come away from the connection. I also noticed while I was in there ( that tiny little hole for my fat fingers) that the plastic casing was very brittle. Is this normal for those motors ??

Tiz, heat and time from the pump will degrade the plastic. I am not sure if you have your old model number from your pump but maybe you can reorder that plastic piece there after the seal. I never looked on mine to see if that was an option, but I bet you can.

Also, here is a little tip. I made a little cover to put over the pump. Works great and the inside is farily self explanatory. I took some pics and attached them for you to look at. This thing is from an old plastic garage door opener and I used plastic epoxy to hold the clamps together. Seems to work great, especially if its raining and I happen to be gone or working. No problems so far and it also helps shade it from the sun.

Hope you can order the plastic piece.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.