Algae spots in Pool

Can you give us a full set of test results? If you have algae you need to SLAM Process.

Algaecide is not recommended except in specific cases during the closing of pools in the cold north.

Algaecide does not eliminate algae, it can restrict its growth in low FC environments.

Be sure to follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Take care.

Thanks very much for your reply. Actually, I brushed the spots with a stiff, wire algae brush in the afternoon. This morning, the spots are gone. I increased the %age setting on the SWG. Will wait a day or two to see if any further aglae shows. Does this seem like a reasonable course of action?

The TFPC method of pool care is dependent on being able to accurately test your pool water chemistry. If you do not have one, I suggest you purchase a proper test kit. I have the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. In that kit is the FAS-DPD test for chlorine. It can test accurately to 50ppm FC.

See Pool School - Test Kits Compared Pool School - What is TFPC?

To do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test you need an accurate test of your CYA and a FAS-DPD test kit for chlorine.

Once you have your new test kit, run all the tests and post them here. Forum members will provide guidance for your next steps.

Take care.

Did the OCLT following directions. After sundown, readings were: FC: 16.5ppm; CH: 425; TA:120; CYA:65; Salt: 3300. This morning's FC reading remained the same. Since brushing the pool with the wire algae brush (as normal brushing had no effect), and using the Kreepy Krauly, the black spots (which I assumed was algae, but maybe was something else) have not returned in three days time. The FC reading is awfully high. I moved the output %age from 30 to 40, and the FC shot right up. The SWG & cell were recently tested, and all seems to be working as they should, for this seems to be a constant issue. I just can't seem to find the right output %age. Your advice most welcome.

Good to hear on the OCLT.

I would suggest starting with a FC use of 1.5 ppm per day in your area right now. That will no doubt drop in the next month but a place to start.

Your SWCG can create 1.4 lb of chlorine gas per day. Or 22.4 oz per day. In your size pool, to get 1.5 ppm FC out of your SWCG you need to run it 4 hours per day at 100%. So depending on how long you wish to run your pump, adjust the SWCG % based on that. (If you run your pump 8 hours, set at 50%, etc). Then adjust as necessary to get your FC to the target level based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.